Running packs - chest mounted bottles - any experiences?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 yorkshireman 25 Sep 2015
Over the years I've run various distances and used different types of hydration packs. On long ultras though, I've usually had some kind of pack with a bladder and hose - I'm currently using one of the Salomon s-lab ones - generally its great, extremely comfortable but along with the lack of space and awkward pocket access, I find I just can't monitor my fluid intake properly using a hydration bladder and I think I've come unstuck on a few races this way.

I'm thinking the solution would be a couple of chest mounted bottles, and I've been looking around at various options as these seem to be getting more popular. Thoughts include:

1. Salomon with the softflashs - my wife has got one of these - not bad but I still think its a bit low on pockets (I'm obsessed)

2. Raidlight Olmo (5 or 12l) - I really like the look of these - I tried one on in a local running shop yesterday though on not sure if the straws from the bottles will get bugging after a while. Probably with some adjustment I can get them to sit less in my face. I also like that you can get softflask versions and I like the pole storage and headphone jack idea - plus it has pockets galore.

3. Ultimate Direction SJ - again this looked great and then I was put of by some reviews. Especially around fit and comfort.

Anyone tried one or more of the above? I'm particularly keen on firsthand feedback on the Raidlight packs - I can't find many reviews but I saw a lot of them being used in UTMB this year.
 The New NickB 25 Sep 2015
In reply to yorkshireman:
I've got the 12l Salomon, really like it, very comfortable and stable, much better than the others I tried. Pocket situation is fine, more than I need and found accessing kit on the move easy.

You can drink from the soft flasks without taking them out of the vest.
Post edited at 17:22
 The New NickB 25 Sep 2015

The other models I tried were from UD and Nathan.
 Curry 25 Sep 2015

I run with the UD AK vest, fits me quite well, I'm a skinny fella. Doesn't move at all, only really minor chafing at the neckline from the straps next to the skin. I took out the normal bottles and bought a couple of the soft flasks, pros and cons, can drink with craning neck down and supping, no sloshing as they empty. But I find it hard to gauge how much is left between water stations/checkpoints, I can tell there's 'some' left but not exactly how much. I use a handheld bottle sometimes and food in one of the chest pockets (so I can see how much water I've got left easier).
 r0b 25 Sep 2015

Also have a look at the Montane Fang (5L) and Jaws (10L). I have a Fang and really like it, the way the bottles hook onto the shoulder straps is simple but effective.
 petestack 25 Sep 2015
I've got both SJ Ultra Vest and Fastpack 20 (for mountain days when I want to carry more) from UD and reviewed them on my blog while still new to me...
http://www.petestack.com/blog/ultimate-direction-sj-ultra-vest-2-0.html
http://www.petestack.com/blog/november-fastpacking.html

To which I might just add that I ordered one of the larger Salomon Packs (Skin Pro 14 + 3) between getting my SJ and Fastpack but sent it back because I thought it flimsier and not as well arranged for my needs, and also quickly reverted from the UD soft bottles mentioned in my blog piece to the regular ones for my Fastpack. Which is now my regular lightweight hill pack, with the SJ still coming out for runs with less kit.
Post edited at 19:42
 Paul Atkinson 25 Sep 2015

It took me bit of a leap of faith to go from pack to vest and thereafter to think about dealing with bottles jiggling about on the front but the bladder is too much of a pain to refill on ultras etc so I gave it a go. I'm a convert. Using a Salomon S Lab 12 I've evolved to a combo of one old fashioned firm 500ml drinks bottle and a 600ml Raidlight soft flask type thing with a massive valved straw like the end of a bladder system. It works like this: I can use the firm bottle for things like tea/coffee/soup carried from CPs as well as for energy drinks whilst using the soft one for water + Nuun. The soft one is 600ml so I can make the Nuun slightly dilute if I want and the straw thing means I can sup without removing the flask from the pocket. I'm finding it spot on, YMMV
 Tall Clare 26 Sep 2015
In reply to r0b:

Mr TC has just got the Montane Jaws, and is very impressed with it so far. The bottles are more rigid, like 'normal' drinks bottles, than the squishy Salomon ones, which offers the benefit of easy filling from streams. He was a bit suspicious of how the bottles attached at first, but said it's surprisingly effective.

He tried on the Salomon and Inov8 equivalents, and found both seemed like they'd chafe round the underarms - for context, he's 6'3, skinny, but with broad shoulders and some lingering lats from years of swimming, but he couldn't be described as bulky!
OP yorkshireman 26 Sep 2015

Thanks for the ideas - more confused than ever now. Think I'll continue trying stuff on in shops where possible.
 Roadrunner5 27 Sep 2015

I have the UD SJ nice enough, not used many modern vests so hard to compare. Not sure which I prefer, but certainly fit for purpose. My main issue is accessing the pockets when running

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...