Petzl Zoom replacement - Advice please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Phil West 25 Sep 2015
I've always been happy with my Petzl Zoom which is 15 years old and still in perfect working order but it is heavy and bulky and I want an upgrade. I did buy a Black Diamond Gemini when they came out and I'm really happy with the size of it and it's great for close-up work but when I took it on a bike ride at night its coverage was shocking and much worse than the Zoom.

Now I know things have moved on considerably recently so I'm sure I can get something with led technology that's small and light but I'd like to focus the beam as with the Zoom. I was looking at the BD Icon but you can't focus the beam. Does anyone have any recommendations please?

Thanks in advance,

Phil
 Toccata 25 Sep 2015
In reply to Phil West:

I bought one of these for working in the garden. Quite spectacular performance and survived a winter in the rain.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sunix-Ultra-Bright-Water-Resistant-Headlight-Activi...

alasdair19 25 Sep 2015
In reply to Phil West:

bang for your buck alpkit seem to do some good stuff. I have a rechargeable, fancy beam adapting petzl one which is fairly cool. effectively 3 settings close in, medium path following and searchlight it senses how much light is reflected back and adjusts accordingly.

if you use it a lot then the savings in batteries may be worth it.
 Toerag 25 Sep 2015
In reply to Phil West:

LEDLenser H7 is worth a look. good focusable beam like a zoom, but significantly brighter. The only thing that annoys me is the lack of a top strap, so it'll fall down if you're running.
Ysgo 26 Sep 2015
In reply to alasdair19:

Seconded.

This one in particular ( http://www.petzl.com/en/Sport/PERFORMANCE-headlamps/TIKKA-RXP?l=GB#.VgaqYt9... )

The Tikka RXP. Super bright and focussed when it's dark and you're looking into the distance, but nicely spread out and dimmer when you're working up close. Means the battery lasts longer, and you don't lose much night vision. The headband is also a much better fit on your head. It's like a pair of swimming goggles. Very little movements.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...