Who's your money on? Japan v Scotland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 balmybaldwin 22 Sep 2015
Should be a good match, I'd love to watch it live but work intervenes.

If Japan play like they did on Saturday I don't think Scotland will have an answer. Japan might be tired tho. Not sure why they only get 4 days rest and Scotland are fresh.
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Scotland, I fear.

I wonder what the bookies' odds in this pool are.

jcm
 Roguevfr 23 Sep 2015

Scotland haven't played yet, so you'd have to ask the organisers about that. While you're at it,ask them why England have a week between each game?
Kipper 23 Sep 2015

Japan are about 6/1 (4/1 to qualify from the pool). Scotland are about 1/2.

The New NickB 23 Sep 2015
In reply to Roguevfr:

> While you're at it,ask them why England have a week between each game?

That's easy, money! You want to put you biggest revenue generator on at a time when people aren't at work.
 Indy 23 Sep 2015
Put £25 on Japan..... Scotland will be far too excited at the reforming of the Bay City Rollers to play besides when has Scotland won anything???
 galpinos 23 Sep 2015

Scotland are more than capable to win by 15. They are better man for man than Japan but they need to put in a team performance....... and hope Japan don't.

Keep it tight early on, use the forwards to tire Japan then start to use their promising backs as the gaps open.
 Rampikino 23 Sep 2015
In reply to Roguevfr:

> Scotland haven't played yet, so you'd have to ask the organisers about that. While you're at it,ask them why England have a week between each game?

You could ask them a number of questions, but your own one about England has a certain truth to it, but no solely for England. EG Ireland have exactly the same amount of time off between games as England.

In terms of cumulative days off between pool games the most is 22, the least is 17. Here's a list:

22 - England, Japan, Ireland, France, Italy
21 - USA, Argentina
20 - Wales, Uruguay, Samoa, Tonga
19 - New Zealand
18 - Fiji, South Africa, Georgia, Romania
17 - Australia, Scotland, Namibia, Canada

In terms of most and fewest days off between pool games, this ranges from 4 to 10. More info:

Most (10) - Japan, USA, Tonga, France
Fewest (4) - Australia, Uruguay, South Africa, Japan, USA, New Zealand, Namibia, France, Romania

It averages out at approximately 20 days off per team and therefore is just less than a week per team between pool games with a fair amount of variation.
 robal 23 Sep 2015
In reply to Rampikino:

Nerd!!!
 Greenbanks 23 Sep 2015

Scotland to win over an over-confident Japan!
 nathan79 23 Sep 2015

6 changes to that Springbok beating team, Scotland's to lose I think. Fingers crossed they don't. Might gave to switch the work radio from classic rock to commentary this afternoon.
OP balmybaldwin 23 Sep 2015
In reply to nathan79:

But are these 6 players being saved for a game they could realistically expect to compete in (V Scotland)? So this could be the Springbok beating team plus a bit more!

Got a friendly £10 on Japan with a Scottish mate.

Hoping though that whatever the result is for this that the Saffers don't qualify. Am at Villa Park on Saturday for Saffers v Samoa (c'mon Samoa) and then a week Saturday at Sid James' Park for Saffers v Scotland (c'mon the Haggis Eaters)

First blood to Scotland
 Chris the Tall 23 Sep 2015

> First blood to Scotland

try to Japan !
Moley 23 Sep 2015
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Half time and still anyones game. If Scotland keep it up the Japanese half and carry on potting penalties it is theirs, but the Japanese look very dangerous when they have the ball up the Scottish end, I feel a try is on the cards every time. That Japanese try was perfect play, no messing.

Few too many errors and fouls from Japan, hope they tighten up and get more possession.

I'm only listening, not watching, but commentators seem to think Scotland are just hanging on for the second 20mins
Post edited at 15:30
 Chris the Tall 23 Sep 2015

A 38-10 scoreline would suggest otherwise ! Makes for a very open group
Pan Ron 23 Sep 2015
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Maybe doesn't reflect so well on rugby: are Scotland really that much better than South Africa?
 Trangia 23 Sep 2015

Just come in and missed it! Final score?
 zebidee 23 Sep 2015
In reply to Trangia:

> Just come in and missed it! Final score?

45-10
 Trangia 23 Sep 2015
In reply to zebidee:

Ta
 the sheep 23 Sep 2015
In reply to David Martin:

The Japan performance reflects brilliantly on rugby. Only 4 days after beating one of the top rugby nations they were expected to play again and did so with the same passion and skill. They were in the game well in the first half and I don't feel they should be criticised for fading a tad in the second after what they have achieved.
Pan Ron 23 Sep 2015
In reply to the sheep:
I agree with that to a point. But its one of the (few) things I don't like about rugby: the apparent randomness of results, with such widely variable results between games. Makes it difficult to really establish clarity on different teams relative merits.

A case in point would be the All Blacks. Nearly always winning, often just snatching victory at the tail end of games, despite being average or sub-average for the preceding hour of play.
Post edited at 16:44
 Postmanpat 23 Sep 2015
In reply to David Martin:

> I agree with that to a point. But its one of the (few) things I don't like about rugby: the apparent randomness of results, with such widely variable results between games. Makes it difficult to really establish clarity on different teams relative merits.

I disagree. I thin there are far less upsets than in, for example, football. Generally the "big" teams beat the "lesser ones" and, just like in any sport e.g..cricket, the big teams will win or lose against each other according to performance on the day.

> A case in point would be the All Blacks. Nearly always winning, often just snatching victory at the tail end of games, despite being average or sub-average for the preceding hour of play.

Because, although not scoring, they are usually putting immense pressure on the oppose
whig tires out the oppo, and they are probably the fittest team around anyway. A well organised "lesser" team can hold out for a long time but then tire in Q4.
 coinneach 23 Sep 2015
In reply to zebidee:

Always quietly confident that Scotland would come through today.

Should beat USA with our seconds on Sunday.

Hoping that Samoa will give Sath Efrika a beasting in the tackle.

Congratulations to big Jock McStrauss on his 1st, hopefully of many, cap.
Jim C 23 Sep 2015
In reply to the sheep:

I don't feel they should be criticised for fading a tad in the second after what they have achieved.

Oh really! Perhaps you did not hear / read what their coach said before the match . He claimed they were much fitter than Scotland
" We will run them off their feet "
http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/news/96889

His big mouth well and truly shut by the Scots team.
 The New NickB 24 Sep 2015
In reply to Jim C:

We will have to see how fit Scotland are four days after they beat South Africa!

I hope you do!
 coinneach 24 Sep 2015
In reply to The New NickB:

Poor wee Scotland, only 3 days rest between playing

Japan . . . . Population 137m, registered rugby players 48,000 and

USA . . . . Population 318m, registered rugby players 50,000

Scotland . . . . Population 6m, registered rugby players 11,500

Who are the underdogs now?
In reply to coinneach:

What has any of that got to do with the price of coffee?

coinneach 24 Sep 2015

Nothing whatsoever but the amount of whinging about Japan only having three days rest maybe needed a wee bit of perspective
In reply to coinneach:

> Nothing whatsoever but the amount of whinging about Japan only having three days rest maybe needed a wee bit of perspective

Which you have failed to provide. Anyway, I hope Scotland beat South Africa and I hope it is as entertaining a game of Rugby as the Japan vs South Africa. I think you should be glad that the team will have a week to recover before the Samoa game.
 coinneach 24 Sep 2015

Oh sorry!

Nescafé is about a fiver a jar in Asda
Jim C 24 Sep 2015

> We will have to see how fit Scotland are four days after they beat South Africa!

As long as OUR Coach does not big us up, and the press are realistic of our chances strengths and weaknesses, then all we have to do is go in and do our best .

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...