Photography assistants/internships advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 cookie-doo 20 Sep 2015
Hi,

I am a recent photography graduate and looking for a job of sorts in the field.
I have studied fine art photography in Brighton so all of the 'useful links' they gave us were not that useful since I am predominantly interested in adventure/travel photography. That also meant that my overall subject interest very quickly faded when I realised that tutors were not massively interested in anything that I wanted to learn so I opted for graduating first and then sorting out my life.
I was wondering if any of you have had any similar experience or have any tips on how to go about things like this? So far I have been collecting names of climbing photographers to look up whether they are based anywhere near Sheffield where I live now.

Any advice appreciated!

Cheers,
Ana
 Dan Arkle 21 Sep 2015
In reply to cookie-doo:

Hi, I'm a Sheffield based photographer. I'm not a pro, but am happy to chat to you about the industry and point you at some useful contacts if that helps.

Dan
OP cookie-doo 01 Oct 2015
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Hey, I messaged you, but I don't think it's gone through. The gist of the message was that I'd love to meet up and I'll be grateful for any advice

Ana
 Tom Last 01 Oct 2015
In reply to cookie-doo:

Hi Ana.

I've worked in photography since 2003 and as a pro (commercial & press) for about eight years now. I took a slightly different route to you in that I started out working in photographic libraries, but did similar to you in that I listed all of the people I thought I might like to work for and just phoned all of them up. I don't think I sent off any CVs or even had any interviews, preferring the direct cold calling method to get started. I eventually had some luck with Royal Geographical Society who needed a paid intern which in turn was just what I needed, a brilliant and inspiring place to work and a good springboard.
So I'd say just phone everyone you might consider (or even knock on their door) It's far harder to ignore a phone call than another CV on the doormat, or an email.

As far as 'adventure photography' goes, I know very little I'm afraid. So far I've earned a small amount of money from photographing climbing in its various forms and am in the process of doing something that'll earn me a bit more, but overall it's been a tiny, tiny part of my income so I'd say do think about other commercial directions too. That said if you can afford to spend a bit of time embarking on purely adventure photography now, it might be your best bet before becoming mired down in the expense of mortgages and kids - if you aren't already.

Likewise, any questions just send an email.
Good luck.
Tom

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...