Macro wildlife film (10min)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 robin mueller 15 Sep 2015
Hi everyone,

I thought there might be a few people on here who would be interested in this... Here's a short macro wildlife film I helped my brother make. Set in the New Forest in England it features dueling dragonflies, jousting stag beetles and acid-firing ants.

Filming took 30 days on location, with several months of research, planning and editing. Cameras used were the Sony FS700 and Canon 7D, alongside some home-made equipment (dolly, jib, 1000w LED).

vimeo.com/138236113

If you have a spare 10min please check it out...
 thommi 15 Sep 2015
In reply to robin mueller:

Very nice.
OP robin mueller 15 Sep 2015
In reply to thommi:

Thanks!
 rodgit 16 Sep 2015

A fascinating film Robin. Amazing picture definition. particularly enjoyed the duelling beetles - reminded me of Liverpool on a Saturday night back in the old days!
Well done.
Rodgit
OP robin mueller 17 Sep 2015
In reply to rodgit:

Thanks rodgit, glad you liked it! Must admit I wasn't expecting a comparison to yesteryear's Liverpool nightlife - you're not suggesting you watched John and Paul having a punch up are you?!
 rodgit 18 Sep 2015

The Beatles pun was totally unintentional Robin ........ But an amusing thought!
 nniff 18 Sep 2015

Liked that - well done
OP robin mueller 18 Sep 2015
In reply to nniff:

Thanks!
 mike123 18 Sep 2015

Excellent, my science minded 7 year old has just watched it 3 times on the bounce
 Greasy Prusiks 18 Sep 2015
Really good film, nice one mate. Have a bump.

I'd get in touch with the new forest tourist board or equivalent sure they'd love to use it.
Post edited at 18:12
OP robin mueller 19 Sep 2015
In reply to mike123:

> Excellent, my science minded 7 year old has just watched it 3 times on the bounce

Ace, that's great to hear!
OP robin mueller 19 Sep 2015
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

> Really good film, nice one mate. Have a bump.

Thanks!

Wry Spudding 19 Sep 2015

Hi, I enjoyed the film. Nicely photographed - obviously a lot of time, effort and care has gone into it. It may be me but I did get distracted by the sound effects which seemed artificial and clunky. Each time I heard one I wondered what had been used to make the noise. Were any of the sequences 'set up' (e.g. the emerging stag beetle)? I don't know anything about the lifecycle of stag beetles, so this may be a ridiculous question to anyone better informed than me.
OP robin mueller 20 Sep 2015
In reply to RichMoss:

Hi Rich,

Glad you enjoyed it!

We did make some sound effects extra clunky on purpose. For two reasons - first we wanted to make these creatures feel like monsters, and sound like they would if you were smaller than them (I reckon it would be terrifying!). Second, with the stag beetle we wanted to hint at a medieval knight, so we added a bit of clunk to suggest armour, which actually isn't far off what those tough exoskeletons are. Who knows what they would really sound like if we could hear at their level, but they do look like they stomp a lot. So yes, a bit of artistic license, and experimentation. In big films they sometimes add tiger roar to engine sounds to give them more growl - we were thinking along those lines. I guess whether it works or not is up to you - some people have said they loved the sound effects, others aren't so keen.

Yes, the stag beetle emergence was set up, though we did have advice from a stag beetle expert who seemed happy that the behaviour was authentic. There are a few scenes filmed in sets we created so that we could get the camera in the right place - this seems to be pretty standard for filming insects. They just do what they want to do, and being in a set doesn't affect their behaviour.
 Deri Jones 20 Sep 2015
Superb work, I know a bug mad 8 year old who's just come back from the New Forest that will love this. Any plans for more, though I'd imagine they are hugely time consuming to get the quality you've achieved?

Queenie 20 Sep 2015

Quality work! Beautifully filmed, with a good narrative voice too.
In reply to Deri Jones:

> Superb work, I know a bug mad 8 year old who's just come back from the New Forest that will love this. Any plans for more, though I'd imagine they are hugely time consuming to get the quality you've achieved?

Brilliant, great to hear! I was a bug mad kid when I was that age too - I'm glad our film appeals to kids!

No immediate plans for more - this was my brother's student project and now he's looking for work as a wildlife cameraman. We both really enjoyed working on this though, so perhaps we'll find a way to do it again in the future. As you guessed, very time consuming and quite expensive. We spent a month on location, plus there were months of researching, planning, building equipment and editing. Pleased it all turned out so well, and glad people are enjoying it!

In reply to Queenie:

> Quality work! Beautifully filmed, with a good narrative voice too.

Thanks! Yes, the narrator is fantastic. A last minute find after trawling the internet for suitable voices. We sent him the script and he sent us his recording the next day!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...