----Via Ferrata Equipment----

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
DKS 02 Sep 2015
Good evening,

I have just purchased an easy rider via ferrata set and would just like to ask a few questions.

What if I fall a small fall or just lose balance, will the EAS system deploy?

What do I do if it does? Ive heard that it is unusable after you take a big fall. If so, what do I do if I am mid way through a route with no escape options?

If there is a section of broken rails, what do I do to pass that section and continue the route safely if there is no option of turning back?

Lastly, if I am caught in a storm or lightning in an exposed area, what is the safest procedure please?

Also just to know, I am a regular sport rock climber and have a fairly good idea with rope use and climbing.

Thanks for your help

Best regards
 beardy mike 02 Sep 2015
In reply to DKS:

> What if I fall a small fall or just lose balance, will the EAS system deploy?

To deploy you have to exceed the rip force of the unit. It will partly deploy if the fall is sufficiently large.

> What do I do if it does? Ive heard that it is unusable after you take a big fall. If so, what do I do if I am mid way through a route with no escape options?

If you take a sufficiently large fall to fully deploy you VF kit, you will most likely be in no state to walk away - this would indicate a major fall with large impact on a vertical to overhung section over a large distance. Chances are you will hit something, either a ledge or a bolt or staple. The first and last rule of VF is do NOT FALL. Regard the kit as a fail safe.

> If there is a section of broken rails, what do I do to pass that section and continue the route safely if there is no option of turning back?

Other than climbing past it, there is no real option other than turning back. Assess what its like and make a decision. If you are with somebody and happen to be carrying a short section of climbing rope, you could belay past it.

> Lastly, if I am caught in a storm or lightning in an exposed area, what is the safest procedure please?

Get away from the cable as soon as possible and follow normal measures to avoid lightening strike. Descending is the best option, finding shelter either at a hut or in a deep cave (deeper than its opening is the rule of thumb - shallow caves just provide a gap to be bridged by you), followed by sitting ontop of an insulator, maybe a rucksack. Whatever you do, however unnerving it is (your metal work will hum with static) DO NOT get rid of any of you safety kit. If you are going to get hit, whether or not you have a couple of carabiners or not will not make one jot of difference. And of course avoid thunderstorms in the first place. The main thing to note is an early start and an early finish. Even on a blue bird day it can turn quickly and without much warning. As a rule of thumb if its above 34degs on the plain by venice you are pretty likely to at least get rain - the hotter it is the more likely you are to get an electrical storm.

If I remember rightly you are coming from south africa and are going solo? This is useful in the sense that you can move quicker to help avoid storms. The downside is you will be on your own, so err on the side of caution. Not so cautious you get nothing done but stay aware and adapt your plans in good time.
 nufkin 02 Sep 2015
In reply to DKS:

> What if I fall a small fall or just lose balance, will the EAS system deploy?

It might depend on the model, but I think 5kN is the force required to start ripping, so having a rest or a teeny slip should be okay

DKS 03 Sep 2015
In reply to beardy mike:

Great! Thanks for the very detailed reply...much appreciated. Best regards. Dirk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...