Good "family" tent recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Durbs 02 Sep 2015
Morning campers!

For the past few years we've been happily using our Gelert Cabana 4. It's started to leak a bit, and in high wind & rain it isn't unusual to discover internal puddles (just heavy rain without wind was never an issue...). They don't make it any more anyway, but it's getting near replacement time.

So looking for recommendations for good 4-man tents that stand up to the elements, but isn't too expensive or heavy.
We only car-camp, so weight isn't really an issue (The furthest it will be carried will be at a festival) - though boot space is a bit of a premium with a couple of boulder mats, double SIM mattress, pushchair etc... So not too big when packed down.

Standing space, and good living area are a must - good size sleeping chamber for a double-mattress and a baby cot too.
 Phil79 02 Sep 2015
In reply to Durbs:

I can recommend Outwell tents for family camping (2 adults, 2 young kids). Good quality at a reasonable price, and usually on offer in Go Outdoors.

We have a Montana which I don't think they make anymore, but is a good sized 4/5 man, with big interior area (standing height) and sleeping areas that can be zipped into one large or two separate, and will easily fit double mattress and travel cot.

We use this for car camping with the kids, its about 3/4 years old and going strong, we have had it up in some very strong winds and heavy rain without any leaks or problems.

The Cape Coral seems to be the updated version of this tent, and looks almost identical.

Only issue is its fairly large when packed down (and about 17kg I think), so you wouldn't want to be carrying it any distance.
 More-On 02 Sep 2015
In reply to Phil79:

+1 for Outwell.
Our 7 berth car camping palace is nearly 10 years old and looks as good as new. Very stable in strong winds and keeps the rain out. It can also be well vented if you get the odd day of hot and sunny weather!
The only downside, as mentioned above, is that it is rather bulky.
cb294 02 Sep 2015
In reply to Durbs:

The Eureka Tunnel Vision tents are excellent, especially in the technical cotton version. Different sizes available, we have one with a single cabin and three poles, with enough space to cook in front and high enough to stand comfortably. The cotton fabric makes for a great tent climate in hot conditions, and is extremely stable (survived a storm with minimal damage that killed our Hilleberg Keron pitched next to it).

CB
 unicycleboy 02 Sep 2015
In reply to Durbs:

If you want to keep price down low, I'm currently impressed with a Vango Lauder 400 (have only used it one weekend camping so far, so cannot comment on durability.) But took it out in the thunderlightning storms we had the other weekend on the south coast, few niggles with how the door opens, but otherwise stood up to the windrain fine, enough space for me to stand up in the porch fine (im 6') but couldn't stand fully straight in the inner tent, porch had plenty of room for two chairs and a table. And not ridiculously heavy at around 10kg.

That said I only got the cheaper one as I have no idea how regularly it will be used (normally in backpacking tents) so didn't want to spend a fortune. If I knew I'd be using it a lot I probably would have gone with a Outwell as others have suggested, but for £100 it does the job.
 sxrxg 02 Sep 2015
In reply to Durbs:

I have invested this summer in a Decathlon Quecha Air Seconds Family 4 inflatable tent as have a new baby in the family (2 man mountain tents aren't quite big enough anymore!), it has been brilliant for a summer of car camping. It didn't leak in torrential rain and seems very sturdy (not used in gales yet though). The best thing about it though is being able to put it up on your own easily whilst the missus deals with the little one, it is only a 5 minute job (if that). Just peg out the corners, pump up poles, place single pole in for porch and then peg out the guy ropes. I have honestly never had a tent of any size as easy to put up.

Our model doesn't have standing room however the porch area is plenty big enough for two to sit in the evening and read (also fine for brewing up in should the weather be terrible), Decathlon do offer a larger blow up tent however i have no experience of this model and i'm sure it will come with increased pack size and cost.
 LastBoyScout 02 Sep 2015
In reply to Durbs:

I would look at Robens or Vango.

My parents have a Robens Triple Dreamer - they do a Double Dreamer, which would suit you, I think.
 planetmarshall 02 Sep 2015
In reply to Durbs:

Can't speak for family use, but I got a Vango Icarus 500 for staying for a week in Chamonix with a mate, mostly because there was room to stand up ( provided you're less than about 6'4" ).
OP Durbs 02 Sep 2015
In reply to Durbs:

Thanks for the feedback - the Eureka stuff looks really interesting, as do the Outwell and Vango.

They all come in at about £400+ though, by which price a Bell Tent becomes more of an option...?
Heavy obviously at around 30kg, but the larger ones listed about are all 20-25kg.

planetmarshall 02 Sep 2015
In reply to Durbs:

I picked up my Vango Icarus nearly new for about £140. Shop around and should be able to find something similar for well under £200.
 More-On 02 Sep 2015
In reply to Durbs:

> They all come in at about £400+ though, by which price a Bell Tent becomes more of an option...?

Not if you want quicker drying fabric, bug proof ventilation, windows and on our Outwell a conservatory

Having grown up camping in cotton bell tents and then cotton frame tents I know which I prefer, but you might prioritise a more robust fabric...
In reply to Durbs:

Ive got an Icarus 500 too. Plenty of room and not too bulky. I find it a bit fiddly to put up and the poles behave a bit like newborn giraffe legs during this process although with a bit of patience I can do it solo in about 15-25 minutes depending on how windy the conditions are or how pedantic I am about getting the tent absolutely perfect. The poles arent that strong either and I managed to crack one during my last outing which I have patched with tape so all should be well. Mine cost about £100 in the sale and Ive used it about 6 or 7 times now so I suppose it given me my money back.

Then again, I had a little windfall so I've just bought a 5 metre Bell Tent which I will be kitting out with a compatible wood burner for more luxurious/chilly times times.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 02 Sep 2015
In reply to Durbs:

I still have this for sale - http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/t.php?n=618803

I'll be back in the uk in a couple of weeks if it is of any interest,

Chris
 marsbar 02 Sep 2015
In reply to Durbs:

I'm another vango fan. They seem to cope with bad weather and generally sensible for the price. Usually worth trying last years model for a discount.
 Sealwife 03 Sep 2015
In reply to Durbs: I also have an Outwell Montana for family camping. It's big, comfy and bombproof.

Managed to get an ex-display one (had been put up in a shop somewhere, so they'd lost eh pegs) for a very good discount.

Hooo 03 Sep 2015
In reply to Durbs:

> Thanks for the feedback - the Eureka stuff looks really interesting, as do the Outwell and Vango.

> They all come in at about £400+ though, by which price a Bell Tent becomes more of an option...?

Check out second hand stuff on eBay and Gumtree. Loads of family tents that have been used once and then sold on because the family didn't like camping. I got my Vango Nevis 400 this way ( great tent BTW, but discontinued). Cost a third of list price and it looked unused.
OP Durbs 03 Sep 2015
In reply to Durbs:

Good shout on eBay... looking to get a tent that lasts, hence happy to spend a bit.

Will check out the others and see what's what.
 cezza 03 Sep 2015
In reply to Durbs:

Airgo Nimbus 8 from GoOutdoors. Easy to put up. Plenty of room for 2 adults, 3 kids, dog, etc, along with all the stuff you need for 2 weeks of car camping. Standard tunnel tent layout and surprisingly much more sturdy than the previous tunnel tent with carbon fibre poles. Maintained its shape and didn't leak in 30mph winds with 50mph gusts in Cornwall in August.

Downsides are the packed size is huge, probably twice the size of a non-airbeam system and the price, £1000 with porch, carpet and ground sheet.

Cezza
Lucyhee 30 Sep 2015
In reply to Durbs:

If you're getting rid of the cabana I'd love to buy it. I'm a tent lover.
carlo 01 Oct 2015
In reply to Durbs:

Outwell, just check out how many there are in any "family" camp site.
OP Durbs 01 Oct 2015
In reply to Lucyhee:

> If you're getting rid of the cabana I'd love to buy it. I'm a tent lover.

Ah - think we're going to hang on to it as it'll make an awesome play tent for the bubs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...