EBC -sleeping bag hire in Kathmandu

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
trollman 31 Aug 2015
Off to Trek EBC in November, my walking partner needs A down bag, could anyone recommend a place in Kathmandu that hires clean warm bags, suitable for this trek and roughly how much, hiring from UK is quite expensive as we are away for 25 days in total
Cheers T
 pc1974 14 Sep 2015
In reply to trollman:

shona's if still there after the earthquake
 Axel Smeets 14 Sep 2015
In reply to trollman:
Yes, I'll second Shona's.

It's located in the Thamel district. Hopefully it's up and running after the quake. I got quite a few bits and bobs from there before I headed out into the hills back in October.

Not sure on price as I bought stuff rather than hired. Pretty sure it'll be cheaper than the UK though.
Post edited at 17:20
 davegs 14 Sep 2015
In reply to Axel Smeets:
Sorry to hijack the thread, how much did you pay for a sleeping bag Axel?
 Axel Smeets 14 Sep 2015
In reply to davegs:

Hi

A sleeping bag wasn't actually one of the things I bought so I can't help you with that I'm afraid.

However, I assume they are priced similarly to the rest of the stuff in Shona's.....so they will be very cheap. A lot of the gear is either fake or non-branded but the stuff I bought served me absolutely fine for a 32 day trip and it's still going strong now.
 Damo 14 Sep 2015
In reply:

I haven't bought a bag in KTM for a few years but the last one was about US$80 for a -5C fake 'Marmot' bag. It's been used quite a bit and served me well - and I don't worry about it getting damaged or stolen. I think you'd get a -15C bag for around US$100? I don't see the point in hiring.

The other thing is to look around a lot and try on each individual item. Sizing is not regular across lines, between shops and while this might seem annoying, it means you might just get something that fits you better than anything of a similar spec. True for gloves, jackets etc too.
 davegs 15 Sep 2015
In reply to Damo:

So a down jacket suitable for Island peak would be how much? Seems daft to buy here.
Thanks
 Damo 17 Sep 2015
In reply to davegs:
I got a good one for US$50, or less, in 2009, so now maybe $80?

It was fake 'Mammut', but has been really good and fits better than any genuine western brand. But again, I tried on probably 15 jackets across three stores to get that fit (a slim torso, long sleeved, wide shouldered XL).
Post edited at 09:09

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...