Boots for Scrambling and Beginners Mountaineering

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
nabeelfarid 27 Aug 2015

Hi guys,

Any recommendation for a good boot that can be used for scrambling (upto Grade 3+) and also crampons compatible for occasional mountaineering on snow e.g. in French Alps around Mont blanc (nothing like extreme winter mountaineering)...I had Meindl Toronto GTX hiking boots for over 3 years and I loved them for hiking over long multiday hut to hut trails, even walked on snowy mountains. However lately I started lot of scrambling and I guess due to smearing the rubber sole at the toe broke up. So looking for something more durable for scrambling. I am also planning to start mountaineering however I don't want to spend loads on buying another boot. Any advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Nabeel
Post edited at 13:50
 d_b 27 Aug 2015
In reply to nabeelfarid:

First get something that fits. Anything else is secondary.

Asolo Peaks work for me. They are a fairly light weight composite boot that will take a C2 crampon and are stiff enough for climbing and winter walking.

Scarpa Charmoz is fairly similar but is a different shape. They don't work for me but a lot of people love them.

Sportiva are good, with a v similar fit to Asolo. I haven't had any of their recent boots though.
 Gav Parker 27 Aug 2015
In reply to nabeelfarid:

I have the Scarpa Charmoz my second pair they are a very good boot.
In reply to nabeelfarid:

All the above recommendations, or if you want lighter still, have a look at Simond mountaineering boots (at Decathlon) or lighter still,try Garmont Vetta.
nabeelfarid 27 Aug 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:

Thanks david. Totally agree with fitting
 gethin_allen 28 Aug 2015
In reply to nabeelfarid:

La sportiva trango are nice light b2 boots. Otherwise as above the scarpa charmoz are good. Neither of these are very warm boots so I'd depends on what you have in mind and how your circulation is.
nabeelfarid 01 Sep 2015
In reply to gethin_allen:

What do you mean by circulation ?
 gethin_allen 01 Sep 2015
In reply to nabeelfarid:

> What do you mean by circulation ?

Some people suffer from poor blood circulation to their extremities and get cold hands and feet quicker than others so need warmer boots.
 SteveHolmes 02 Sep 2015
In reply to nabeelfarid:
Have you thought about the Lowa Valbona GTX? http://lowa.co.uk/?product=valbona-gtx

I am selling a pair 41.5 if they are a boot that would interest you
Post edited at 17:30
In reply to gethin_allen:

> Neither of these are very warm boots so I'd depends on what you have in mind and how your circulation is.

Which raises a good point, which is sizing for your sock. For technical scrambling a lightweight sock will give you more precision, whereas winter mountaineering will want a nice thick sock.

I sized up in my Charmoz as I'm not much of a scrambler, so my thick sock made me choose a size bigger. My feet were toasty on the summits in the cold depths of a Lake District deep freeze as a result.
 crustypunkuk 02 Sep 2015
In reply to nabeelfarid:

I'd recommend the Salewa Rapace. I'm on my second pair and they are the comfiest and best performing boots I've owned. I would add that this would probably be mainly because they fit my feet well- as others have said, the best boots are the ones that fit best!
 nathan79 02 Sep 2015
In reply to crustypunkuk:

Another happy Salewa Rapace owner here. Had mine over a year. Sole's wearing well as are the rest of the boot.
Trying to think if I was out in snow with them last winter but I can't recall. Most recent action for them was trekking in the Alpine paths, pastures and boulder-fields of the Vanoise national park last month.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...