Tete Rousse and Gouter Huts Security

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mattlee 27 Aug 2015
Hi All,

Does anyone have any idea of what kind of security is available for personal belongings at the Tete Rousse and Gouter Huts ?......Lockers etc. I've heard stories of stuff going missing and could do with knowing what kind of precautions I need to take.

Thanks
 summo 27 Aug 2015
In reply to mattlee:

huts are general safe, but many guides clients will be given axes etc... only for the duration of their trip. So they aren't always that good at recognising them at 3am. Better to just put all your kit together neatly in as distinct a clump as possible. Or a bag, Even if it's just a plastic carrier bag. I would be slightly more wary in the huts that people day trip to, but higher mountain huts are normal fine.

MG 27 Aug 2015
In reply to mattlee:

The direct answer is none - there will just be boxes for your stuff. Summo's advice is good. Deliberate theft is very rare but mistakes happen. If you have commonly used stuff, such as Nepal boots, it may be worth putting your initials on them in marker pen to avoid confusion.
cb294 27 Aug 2015
In reply to MG:
> ... If you have commonly used stuff, such as Nepal boots, it may be worth putting your initials on them in marker pen to avoid confusion.

Or get some disgusting pink shoelaces. Tying one´s boots together also helps, as if gives anyone grabbing them by accident a chance to spot the mistake

Cb

PS: And the pro tip for the day after the summit: Throwing your boots out of the window may even give you a free helicopter ride to Chamonix....
Post edited at 12:49
 tehmarks 27 Aug 2015
In reply to cb294:

> PS: And the pro tip for the day after the summit: Throwing your boots out of the window may even give you a free helicopter ride to Chamonix....

Now there must be a story behind that. Do tell!
cb294 27 Aug 2015
In reply to tehmarks:

Not one that happened to me, but last time we were in Chamonix a climber got a helicopter lift down from the Gouter hut after being relieved of his boots. For some reason noone expected him to go down the normal route in his hut shoes!
IIRC he was on the way up, which I would consider the amateur version.
CB
 d_b 27 Aug 2015
In reply to cb294:

I'm sure there was a very ill tempered UKC thread about something like that happening a couple of years ago. Worst I had was a pair of Nepals being nicked from Glen Nevis YHA, but having to go to the car park in trainers isn't really in the same league.
mattlee 27 Aug 2015
Thanks all, kind of what I thought but thanks for the clarity.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...