anyone used a Edelrid perfect alpine roe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 s.thursz 26 Aug 2015

Hi guys,
im looking for a 1/2 rope and found a good price on the Edelrid perfect alpine 8.3mm rope. but my research has being pretty limited so far- i cannot find a good review or even much detail regarding the product. I wondered if anyone here has had any experience with this rope, (or useful advice....)

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/edelrid-perfect-alpine-8-3mm-60m-p294072

Best wishes
Post edited at 22:46
 Wild Isle 27 Aug 2015
In reply to s.thursz:

I don't know the exact rope you're asking about but seeing as you've had no other reply I can tell you this much: I've used Edelrid ropes for about 30 years. The first rope I purchased myself was an Edelrid and I still have four models of their's in my quiver currently. Every Edelrid rope I've had and/or used has been excellent right up to and including the last two generations (Apus, Flycatcher, Merlin, Python). I wouldn't hesitate getting one. And yes of course in the meantime I've had plenty of experience including institutional with all the major brands, to be honest there are very few if any 'bad' ropes out there. Cheap ropes yes, but bad, not really.
 mrchewy 27 Aug 2015
In reply to s.thursz:

I have the 10mm Python single from Go Outdoors - seems fine, handles well.

I also have the Edelrid Merlin 8mm half ropes and they've been brilliant.
 beardy mike 27 Aug 2015
In reply to s.thursz:

Currently got a couple of Edelrid Apus ropes. Most god damn twisty ropes I've ever owned. It's not just me - my partner on my last trip seemed to manage getting them stupidly tangled as well. Mind you they are very skinny and skinny ropes do tangle more, but these, I've had 15-20 minute sort outs where they've been so screwed we had to pull the ropes through about 20 times to get them sorted...
 zimpara 27 Aug 2015
In reply to s.thursz:

I got one on Monday. £52 for the 60metre at GO.

Very happy
 ogreville 27 Aug 2015
In reply to s.thursz:
I also spotted this deal for the Perfect Alpines and was looking at them at Go outdoors last weekend. They look nice.

I've done a lot of research on getting two 60m halfropes and there isn't a better offer on the market as far as I can see. My only concern was that at 8.3mm, they would be ever so slightly too narrow. I like a narrow rope for sport climbing, and like the idea of a lightweight trading rope for big walkings and long pitches, but was imagining abseiling off these skinny ropes, moving back and fourth over an edge. eeekk!.

That said, I'll prob buy them anyway. They're cheap enough that they can always be replaced in 12 months and kept for single pitch.

Only other choices I would consider are the Tendon Ambition 8.5mm at £90 a rope, or the Mammut Genesis 8.5mm (which look like the daddies if money is no option.
Post edited at 17:02
 Nemo9 27 Aug 2015
In reply to s.thursz:

Hi, yeah I have that rope ( in 50 m) and its fine. Used it this winter and it got very wet but didn't get water logged. Used it for summer trad and it was great for that also. Has quite a soft feel to it. I have a 60 m Mammut Genesis which feels much stiffer. There was a thread on here before and someone said the same rope is sold under another name ( cant remember what) and has just been rebranded for Go Outdoors which is probably why you cant find many reviews of it. Don't think you can go wrong at that price.

Hope that helps,

Dave

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...