Hiking in Wales February 2016

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
DKS 25 Aug 2015
Hey guys, I am looking into visiting Wales (Any part) in early February 2016 for a few days. Could you guys give me any suggestions in what to do and where to go?

I will be visiting with my girlfriend and we are both into hiking, horse riding, enduro dirt bikes and adventure.

I beleive its the coldest part of the year, which doesnt bother me too much, but I also heard that it is relatively not too wet. Is this true?

Any suggestions are appreciated

Best regards

Dirk
 Howard J 25 Aug 2015
In reply to DKS:

"Not too wet" relative to what? Wales, especially Snowdonia, is one of the wettest parts of the UK, which is one of the wetter parts of Western Europe. In February (and indeed at most times of the year) you should assume that if it isn't raining, it's about to. Unless it's snowing instead. Yes, statistically February is less wet than other winter months but don't be misled, it is still high especially in the more mountainous areas.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/regional-climates/wl

Seriously though, cold and wet together can be killers and it's important to be properly equipped. It's very different from the sort of dry cold conditions you might get in, for example, alpine skiing areas.

As for suggestions what to do, that's difficult to say without knowing your levels of experience. It might help if you put more information in your profile. Wales offers everything from easy hiking to scrambling and of course proper rock climbs. In February, you could get full winter conditions requiring ice axes, crampons and mountaineering skills, or it could be bright sunshine with no snow at all. Most probably it will be wet, or at least damp, and very likely cloudy so good navigation skills are a must. But it could be fantastic - the weather can be very changeable and it is impossible to even guess until a few days in advance what the weather might be like.

It's important to be flexible and to be prepared to change your plans to take account of the weather, your capabilities and your equipment However wherever you go it should be possible to find something to suit you. Wales is a big place with beautiful scenery (when you can see it!) and lots of opportunities at all levels.
 Welsh Kate 25 Aug 2015
In reply to DKS:
As Howard says, Wales can be a tad damp, even in summer.

The middle bit is particularly prone to being damp, so unless we have a particularly dry spell I'd avoid Pumlumon and the Elan Valley area, though these are fantastic walking areas in slightly less damp conditions.

In Snowdonia there's a good chance that you'll need winter gear for some areas, including Snowdon, or just flippers if it's a tad damp. In the Brecon Beacons, even if it snows you're unlikely to need anything more gnarly than microspikes. Though you may just get wet

If it's damp, you can always go visit the many waterfalls in either Snowdonia or the Brecon Beacons (for the latter, google Ystradfellte waterfalls).

hth, and isn't too off-putting - I'm trying to be realistic and it may even be bright, dry and crisp winter weather
Post edited at 13:15
Moley 25 Aug 2015
In reply to DKS:

Living in mid Wales I can only agree with the above regards weather, it is impossible to predict, anything between -15c, dry and sun (unlikely but possible) to +15c howling gales and floods.

Come prepared to be flexible and adapt your time to any conditions. You may well decide 3 days in a decent pub is preferable to even sticking your nose outside.
Like this summer!
 The Potato 25 Aug 2015
In reply to DKS:
generally the closer you are to mountains the more chance of rain, but then it can be wet anywhere, as for snow, who knows you may get a lot or barely anything, its likely to be drier if its very cold.
Having a good selection of layered clothing is essential, as is being able to make the most of the situation i.e dont set your heart on anything and be prepared to do something else.
Clothing - base layer, mid layer, waterproof, hat, gloves, buff, thick socks, waterproof boots, walking trainers. That way youll be flexible and can easily adapt to the conditions which can be very varied.

Brecon Beacons can be a nice area quite open and wild with lots of large hills, Southern Snowdonia around Cadair Idris is a popular destination, but less so than mid snowdonia around Snowdon itself. Places like Betws y Coed and Llanberis can get quite busy in the right weather. Northern Snowdonia can have slightly better weather as the mountain massif of Snowdon attracts most of the bad weather, so the Carneddau is another good option for mountains.

You may not need crampons at all, but its handy to have something like Yaktrax pro or Kahtoola microspikes in your bag if you want to go adventuring.

And finally, get an OS map of whichever area you go to, that way you can change your plans more easily and find alternative routes etc.
Post edited at 14:13
DKS 25 Aug 2015
In reply to DKS:

Thanks guys, probably February isnt too good of an idea. Cold isnt a problem but i would generally like to actually see the scenery

I was only thinking of going at that time as ill have to be in Birmingham for work that time and thought I could combine it.

Cheers guys
 d_b 25 Aug 2015
In reply to DKS:

If you have access to a car then you can get to lots of different places from Birmingham, so you should be able to get something done unless it is horrible everywhere.
Moley 25 Aug 2015
In reply to DKS:

Unfortunately in Wales, the remaining 11 months can be much the same!
 robert-hutton 25 Aug 2015
In reply to Moley:

Don't let them put you off, you can get some great walking days in February, just bring some warm clothes for the day and get cottage with log fire for the night.
 Howard J 25 Aug 2015
In reply to DKS:

davidbayenon is right, from Birmingham you can easily get to many places in Wales in 2 or 3 hours so you don't have to decide until the last minute, when you will have a better idea of weather and snow conditions. It shouldn't be too difficult finding accommodation at short notice at that time of year. It's even possible to drive there, have a day in the hills, and drive back again the same day.
DKS 25 Aug 2015
In reply to DKS:

Thanks guys. Wales seems too hit and miss it seems, we are now thinking of going to Mercantour National Park in France in April/May instead

We are still very far away so we have time to think and change things around

Thanks for all your suggestions
 ScottTalbot 25 Aug 2015
In reply to DKS:

> Thanks guys. Wales seems too hit and miss it seems, we are now thinking of going to Mercantour National Park in France in April/May instead

> We are still very far away so we have time to think and change things around

> Thanks for all your suggestions

I went to France for a week's surfing one spring and it rained the whole time I was there.... The weather is changeable everywhere, just take the appropriate clothing and enjoy your time!
 Roadrunner5 26 Aug 2015
In reply to Howard J:

I've been in shorts and t shirts on the summits of the Carneddau in February..

It can be anything, most likely wet and cloudy, but it could be anything. I'd ask again inside the final two weeks.

Anything is possible at that time of year if the weather is kind but similarly many easy routes can be death traps.. so any advice is pretty useless this far out.
In reply to DKS:

Whilst everyone is right about the Welsh weather in Snowdonia being unpredictable, sometimes very wet (and often very wonderful) there are also plenty of other adventure things to do if you happen to be here when it's wet, such as...

http://www.bouncebelow.net/ The worlds first underground multi-level trampolining experience
http://www.zipworld.co.uk/ The fastest zipline in the world, the only 4 person zip line in Europe and the only underground zipline
https://www.surfsnowdonia.co.uk/ The longest surfable man made waves in the world
http://www.canoewales.com/national-white-water-rafting-centre The national white water rafting centre
http://www.beaconclimbing.com/ indoor climbing
 lone 26 Aug 2015
In reply to DKS:

Take her to the Doethie Valley in Mid-Wales; A Welsh Hidden Gem for sure.

Start the walk from Llyn Brianne (GR SN 794484 OS Explorer Map 187) or just down the road from the Dam is a little car park for the RSPB, the walk around Dinas Mountain is beautiful.

There's a great little pub called the Royal Oak in Rhandir-Mwyn, and a camp site at Rhandir-Mwyn and higher up the valley. I can forward you a GPX for the route or simple route directions if your interested...

L
Moley 26 Aug 2015
In reply to lone:

> Take her to the Doethie Valley in Mid-Wales; A Welsh Hidden Gem for sure.

> Start the walk from Llyn Brianne (GR SN 794484 OS Explorer Map 187) or just down the road from the Dam is a little car park for the RSPB, the walk around Dinas Mountain is beautiful.

> There's a great little pub called the Royal Oak in Rhandir-Mwyn, and a camp site at Rhandir-Mwyn and higher up the valley. I can forward you a GPX for the route or simple route directions if your interested...

> L

Or stay with us in our self contained B&B, only 300m from the Royal Oak - my local!
Doethie is beautiful and many more walks in area besides.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...