running in White Mountains NH

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
foggon 25 Aug 2015
heading over to the USA with work and will have a weekend in New Hampshire, just wondering if any one could recommend any runs in the White Mountains around 3-4 hrs duration?
 Roadrunner5 25 Aug 2015
In reply to foggon:

which area? They cover a massive area.

Flume/Liberty loop? http://home.earthlink.net/~ellozy/liberty.html

Really depends how quick you are.

Haystack, Lafayette, and Lincoln, superb section of ridge walking. aka Franconia Ridge loop.
http://www.hikenewengland.com/FranconiaRidge081011.html

On the SE I've done Chocura, which is a nice scrambly route and then further NE I've ran a bit around Grafton Notch State Park, Baldpate's a nice open summit with good views.

foggon 25 Aug 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:

staying in Portsmouth so don't really want to drive no more than a couple of hours I think we are about 1:45 from North Conway. Yep already seen a run for Baldplate which looks half decent

http://whitemountainmilers.com/baldface-loop-trail/
 MG 25 Aug 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:

> On the SE I've done Chocura, which is a nice scrambly route and then further NE I've ran a bit around Grafton Notch State Park, Baldpate's a nice open summit with good views.

Ive only walked around here but I think open views etc is something to try for. The first twenty minutes of so of trees are pleasant enough but they quickly get a bit dull. Don't frighten the bears...
 Roadrunner5 25 Aug 2015
In reply to foggon:

That's baldface not baldpate..

There's loads of duplicated names, bald something, slide something, just common features. So just be careful when you look at one hike that it's the mountain you mean.

It depends when you are here. I like being above the treeline. Being from the UK I feel pinned in by the trees but when the weathers bad the differences between the two areas is scarey.. You can be warm and sweaty as you leave the treeline and freezing minutes later.

The two Osceola summits also give some nice views just a very steep climb.

Bears are an issue. Most runners won't carry anything but just be alert and if you see one back off and don't take pictures.

Tbh camping is the main issue with bears.
 Roadrunner5 25 Aug 2015
In reply to foggon:
You can get to Lincoln and Franconia notch in around 2 hours from Portsmouth. But areas like the presidentially will be another hour. If you get a good stable weather period is go further in.

But I often go to Lincoln, Lincoln woods area as I can shoot up I93 to get there.

There's also other peaks further south like mt kearsage that are closer and escape the weather. Also much closer is the middlesex fells on the edge of Boston, the skyline loop is worth a run, only an hour from NH and gives nice views of Boston
Post edited at 18:14
foggon 25 Aug 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:

cheers for the responses, heading over in a couple of weeks so hopefully it will still be pretty warm

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...