Recommendations two day walks with bivvy in Snowdonia

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tomdale 24 Aug 2015
Hello,

New to the whole forum lark so hope I haven't posted in the wrong area but it looked to be the right one.

Me and a friend are headed to Snowdonia in late September for some climbing, but also wanted to incorporate a two day hike on our non-climbing days.

Have you guys got any ideas for a possible route? A lot of the ones I have found online seem to be rather tame in terms of pace and ground covered.

We are both relatively good climbers and have a fair amount of outdoor experience between us so some tougher scrambling etc won't be a problem. I had also hope to incorporate a bivvy into the walk so the further away from civilisation at the end of day one, the better (close proximity to a lake would be amazing, too).

Hope I'm not being too demanding in my first post, and thanks in advance for any help.

Tom
In reply to tomdale:

Welsh 3000-ers? With added scrambles.

Or you could nip down to the Rhinogs for some of the best wild walking in Wales (optional bits of scrambling here and there too if you seek it out). See this UKH route card: http://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=79
OP tomdale 24 Aug 2015
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Cheers Dan, the Rhinogau looks like a real contender!
llechwedd 31 Aug 2015
In reply to tomdale:

In Snowdonia it's difficult to stitch together multiples of class scrambling on the route of a long walk without it being too contrived. You could fit together an Idwal start (-lots of options there- go with the crowds on Tryfan and Bristly Ridge, or do e.g. Idwal staircase, Cneifion Arete and one of the Grade 3's on the back wall of the cwm to take you direct) to the summit of Glyder Fach. Thence Glyder Fawr, down to Llyn y Cwn and then Nant Peris , cross to Cwm Glas and avoid the punters by using the Grade 3 Parson's Nose scramble to get you onto 'Mount Snowdon' . From there you can head for Yr Aran, by a nice airy route.

Then it is down to Nant Gwynant and a road walk to Cnicht . That'll be a long day. At this point, the scrambling peters out. From Cnicht ,+/- Moelwynion, you can head along the high bits of moorland to Moel Siabod and Capel Curig. Depending on your mood you can slog back up to The Glyderau and your finish / plod along the valley floor, via the Lon Las cycle track, to the base of Tryfan/ or ascend the hills on th eother side of the valley by a bash across moorland to Llyn Cowlyd and thence ridgewalk to Carnedd Llywelyn and back to your start.

Although it's satisfying to carry everything , scrambling whilst carrying a full pack doesn't always make for an enjoyable day out, also scrambling, even though you feel you're moving fast, unless you're Es Tressider or Finlay Wild, you'll probably take longer than walking.
Whilst I'm OK with drinking water from most streams in mountainous terrain in Scotland, here you'll find sheep everywhere, so don't count on finding safe to drink water en route- which will mean a heavier load with water carried.
Gilad N 04 Sep 2015
In reply to tomdale:

Hi Tom,

I done a weekend similar to what you are after a couple of weeks ago, though it wasn't really long in distance, but you can feel free to add a few miles at the start or the end.

Have a look at the trip report:
http://www.outdoorsfather.com/2015/08/24-hours-in-snowdonia/

We didn't scrambled Crib Goch but you can do so if the weather is fine or you don't mind spending a couple of hours in a cloud.
The second can be as aggressive as you want, climbing up to the ridge east to Gwynant and head north to Moel Siabod for a longer day than we had.

Anyway, enjoy the weekend and hopefully you will have some good weather.
 malky_c 04 Sep 2015
In reply to tomdale:

I'd go for a 2 day traverse of the Rhinogs from north to south. Not much scrambling but plenty of rock. Bivvy by Llyn Hywel. Job done.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...