Shoes / Boots for scrambles and easy climbs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dai Horribly 23 Aug 2015
Ben away from climbing for about 10 years but would like to get out again, long easyish mountain routes and scrambles up to VD to start with, and was thinking something like scarpa crux, la sportiva ganda guide etc. Anything else I should be looking at / avoid.
 Max Clarke 23 Aug 2015
In reply to Dai Horribly:

I swear by the new version of the 5.10 guide tennie. Fantastic to climb in. They're really stiff though, so getting the sizing right is important or else you'll get loads of heel lift.
 atrendall 23 Aug 2015

I love the Scarpa Cruxes and find them brilliant for long scrambles and easy climbs. Use them extensively on the Cuillin Ridge and can't really fault them especially as there are some good deals around.
 sbc_10 23 Aug 2015

Salewa Mountain Trainer Mid GTX does the job for me.

http://www.bergfreunde.co.uk/2000_1500_90/035-0027/salewa-mtn-trainer-mid-g...
Donald82 23 Aug 2015
Salewa Wildfire's are pretty good and on sale at Needle Sports

http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Footwear/Approach-Shoes/Wildfire-GTX#...
Post edited at 16:39
 AlanLittle 23 Aug 2015

Both are probably good for the purpose, but with approach shoes it's essential to try them on. They tend to be narrower in the forefoot than running shoes, for the sake of climbing performance, and the Gandas being some of the most climbing oriented approach shoes on the market are a particularly extreme example. They're probably great if they fit you; I can barely get my feet into them without going at least a full Euro size too long.
 KA 23 Aug 2015

For a slightly wider fit, I've been impressed with Boreal's offerings, the Flyers and the Gravity.
 Landy_Dom 24 Aug 2015

Tried on scarpa crux and 5.10 guide tennies but went for slightly more expensive scarpa zodiac. Amazing. Love them for instructing work and long easy routes. Good on rock and good on wet grass / mud.
 oldie 25 Aug 2015

I eventually decided to stick with boots for their versatility and support especially in wet/slippery conditions and scree descents. Have found the light Salomon X-Alp Mountain GTX excellent...its got good lateral rigidity in the toe while being flexible for walking. To pass the time a group of us weighed some of our gear after a wet day on Skye and found that the approach shoes used worked out very similar to these boots (absorbed water?). The Meindl Softline also seemed good.
 LJJ77 31 Aug 2015
In reply to sbc_10:

another vote for the salewa mid mtn trainer i am on my second pair and when these eventually wear out i will be looking to buy them again

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...