Lightweight Goretex jacket decision...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 shaymarriott 18 Aug 2015
I'm currently looking for some advice on a decent lightweight Goretex jacket, as my current waterproof is a little to heavyweight for those super active days...

I'm after something lightweight, Goretex (preferably pro-shell), taped seams etc. and a single skin - not lined. Small pack size... Oh and a helmet compatible hood.

Useage - wet mountain days and easy scrambles/climbs as well as general damp dog walks etc.

Budget about £200-£250.

Any thoughts fellow climbers?

Shay.
 galpinos 18 Aug 2015
In reply to shaymarriott:

I have a Mountain Equipment Firefly, the old smock version of the Firefox and my wife has the Ladies Firefox. They’re lightweight Gore-Tex Active hell jackets and we use them for everything, running. mountain biking, ski touring, wandering around town.

Light, well cut, great hood (obviously) and remarkably durable (no holes yet).
 KTC 18 Aug 2015

I have a sprayway Zeus. http://www.gearweare.com/review/sprayway-zeus-jacket/

I like it, does the job well.

TobyA 18 Aug 2015

Are you set on Goretex for a particular reason? If not consider the Jöttnar Hymir http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=7197 made out of Neoshell. It has continued to impress me through this summer.
davebryan1970 18 Aug 2015

Mountain Equipment Shivling is a great allround hill/mountaineering jacket. Probably ME's lightest Goretex Pro. Great alpine cut, HC hood and reasonable lightweight. I think RRP is £300, but with 15% BMC discount at say Cotswold would bring price down to £255.
 BnB 18 Aug 2015
In reply to TobyA:

> Are you set on Goretex for a particular reason? If not consider the Jöttnar Hymir http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=7197 made out of Neoshell. It has continued to impress me through this summer.

+1 to this ^^

Mine breathes better than Goretex of any flavour and the cut is good, if you can put up with a smock, which I'm surprised to find I can.
OP shaymarriott 18 Aug 2015
In reply to TobyA:

Thanks for the response.

Do you find the jacket to be as waterproof as GTX or similar? And whats the approx pack-down size?

I have a feeling Rab has a similar jacket, although possibly not in smock guise...
 Jeff Ingman 18 Aug 2015

Recently been through this process myself and light weight was the key. I got an arcteryx alpha SL at 305g and for £160 on line. Used it 4 times, definately waterproof, breaths very well, even though I'm the sweatiest man in the northern hemisphere. The fit is excellent.
 TobyA 18 Aug 2015

> Do you find the jacket to be as waterproof as GTX or similar? And whats the approx pack-down size?

Yes, and more breathable but not as windproof (although I think the newest forms of goretex now lack the PU layer that should both make them more breathable and less windproof - but I've not reviewed any of that newest goretex). Pack size http://www.jottnar.com/image/cache/data/2015/hymir-digital-blue-m/hymir-det...

2powern 23 Aug 2015

The Mountain Equipment Supercell or Firefox jackets are both pretty excellent, gone down in price since they have been replaced in the range. Although I find Goretex Active's DWR wears off quite quickly compared to others.
That said, I picked up a ME Kongur for £175 and that's become my go to jacket for when I know it's going to rain. If your Google fu is strong, you might get lucky too.
 LucaC 23 Aug 2015
In reply to 2powern:

For me, the Arcteryx alpha fl.
 Bulls Crack 23 Aug 2015

I've got a Montane lightweight, unlined jacket. short at the front a bit longer at the back, well made, waterproof and...in my opinion.. pretty useless for typical British hill conditions.

it's just too short. I can put up with wet legs on a day out - they'll dry out - but a wet crotch? No. And I dont want to wear 'waterproof' trousers all day because I don't want to die of heat exhaustion

OP shaymarriott 30 Aug 2015
In reply to LJC:

This was what I ended up with - extremely impressed. Managed to find it for £172 as well which I was rather happy about!

Thanks for some really usedul replies everybody!

Next stop NeoShell...!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...