Is late March too late for winter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Puppythedog 15 Aug 2015
MRSTHEDOG and I are planning how to look after each other better and I have asked for a week to head to Scorland Winter climbing. Last time I went was begging Feb and weather was a problem with no consolidated conditions.
MRSTHEDOG is a teacher so because of childcare half terms orend of term holidays are best for us.
Is last week of March too late to hope for good conditions in Scotland? I could stay near Spean Bridge.
 goose299 15 Aug 2015
In reply to puppythedog:

How longs a piece of string??

Depends on conditions. I've winter climbed in April in the Lakes before
 Offwidth 15 Aug 2015
In reply to puppythedog:

March is pretty reliable... just that some years the only things left are really high up.
 Simon Caldwell 15 Aug 2015
In reply to puppythedog:

Some of the best conditions I've ever had have been in April on Ben Nevis. Two years running things were great - the year after, the season finished by the end of March.

You'll probably be fine, but as well to have a Plan B
OP Puppythedog 15 Aug 2015
In reply to puppythedog:
Thanks for the responses. I realise it is a broad question but I am not asking for guarantees just is it worth planning. I shall plan for Scotland winter then and then have a plan B.
 Exile 15 Aug 2015
In reply to puppythedog:

The most reliable venue at that time of year is often Ben Nevis so staying in Spean Bridge would be a good option.
 Michael Gordon 17 Aug 2015
In reply to puppythedog:

It would be rare for there not to be winter routes in nick at the end of March.
 LakesWinter 17 Aug 2015
In reply to puppythedog:

I agree with Exile - you can also travel to other lower venues from Spean Bridge if the late season is cold, for example Creag Meagaidh, although watch the Post Face in late March as it gets quite a bit of sun, whereas the Inner Coire gets very little sun and can be better in late season.
 Nbrain 17 Aug 2015
In reply to puppythedog:

There were winter routes in good nick this year in april and may, particularly on the ben. Earlier in the season there were plenty of routes in terrible conditions and lots of very avalanchy stuff. I don't think anyone knows what next year will bring but you would be a bit unlucky to no get something done during march. I always recon the key to scottish winter is not committing to a particular route on a particular day until as late as possible, the more flexible you are the better chances of finding decent snow/ice!
OP Puppythedog 18 Aug 2015
In reply to puppythedog:

Thank you all so much for your input. I have now booked the hut for me for March. Just need to sort out a partner

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...