Lightweight backpacking pack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Andyc1313 11 Aug 2015
I'm looking to buy a new pack, around 40-50 litres. I'm most interested in the OMM Adventure 45 and the Lightwave Fastpack 40 or 50.

Does anyone use either of those packs? And could anyone tell me the internal dimensions of the two Fastpacks?

(I currently use a Pod Thin Ice 50l, but want something a bit smaller, and with a better back system, and maybe a bit lighter. All my gear is fairly lightweight - my total base weight, including the Thin Ice, is 5925g. The pack itself is 1130g, my biggest problem with packing is that I use a Terra Nova Laser, which has a couple of built in poles, so the packed size is about 45cm long, so need a pack long enough).

Cheers for any info
 Welsh Kate 11 Aug 2015
In reply to Andyc1313:

Fastpack 40 main compartment is - very roughly - 55cm high and 45cm wide at bottom. Should take your Laser no problem.

However, I have a Fastpack 40 because it was given to me by a friend, who passed it on to me because he found it uncomfortable. He'd got it from a friend, who'd passed it on because he found it uncomfortable. I find it extremely comfortable. They're both over 6' and male, I'm a 5'7" female. The three of us decided it's possibly more of a women's sack than a men's, so I'd recommend trying one before buying, if you go for the 40 and not the 50 (which has a longer back length).
Andyc1313 12 Aug 2015
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Thanks for that, I'd read somewhere else that the back isn't very long on the 40, I'm 6' so guess that won't be the one!
 sharpie530 12 Aug 2015
In reply to Andyc1313:

I have an OMM Jirisicha 35 which I have used for backpacking, but it is just a little too small for longer trips, so I am looking at the Adventure 45 too for the extra capacity and extra padding. The thing I like about the OMM packs is that they are pretty simple, lightweight, they have big hip pockets and mesh pockets on the back meaning I don't need to take the pack off for snacks and food. Also with the MSC fitted I can just stuff my jacket in there too. Also they have a little mini camp mat in the back, that is great as a sit mat, but also as a nice surface to put down for getting in and out of the tent. Also the fast buckle system is pretty nifty too. At first I thought it wasn't going to be useful, but on the trail I am always just loosening the lid and sliding it to one side!

The only downside is that they seem to be a little bit more difficult to get out here in the US! If I plan a couple more longer trips I might have to stump up though
In reply to sharpie530:

I haven't used either but can confirm Lightwave bags are cracking
If you get the right size! I picked up the Wildtrek 60 cheap in Go Outdoors last year
What a pack comfy and bombproof and its pretty light,fast pack aren't to dissimilar
And I'm an Osprey man..........Mostly great to have a pack without all the extra faff and straps if you can pack neatly and take what you need
 Ben Snook 12 Aug 2015
In reply to Andyc1313:

I bought an OMM 45+10 sack in 2008 (which means I can't quite remember which model; it doesn't say, but I think it's the Villain). It feels very 'thin' all over, which made me raise my eyebrows when I first unpacked it, but after 7 years (!!) of steady use, it is still going strong. I've used it in Brazilian jungle, Norwegian mountains, crag sack all over and most weeks, and consistently as my carry-on luggage (it can get cinched down to tinytiny, and can pack nice and square with no dead space (like back venting systems).

I think it's awesome. The back system doesn't look like much, but last summer I had invariably loaded it with 15kg of rock (geologist...) by the end of the day and could happily (well, able-ly) lug them off the hill.

If you are interested I can get the internal dimensions for you re. tent. However, when I have used it for back packing the external harness thing (MSC as mentioned) can be used to carry the tent. I've got a cheapy (read bulky) 2-man vango thing, and the whole kaboodle gets strapped to the outside perfectly happily.

The only thing I wish it had is a floating lid. In spite of this, it's a great piece of kit.
Andyc1313 12 Aug 2015
In reply to Ben Snook:

Sounds good, I think the adventure light is just a lighter version of the the villain.

I think I am more swayed to the omm; the lightwave looks good, but if I go for the 50, it won't be any lighter than the podsac I'm already using. I'll shave another 200g off my base weight with the omm pack.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...