Alps without a rucksack?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Reach>Talent 10 Aug 2015
I have torn a chunk out of a large mole on my back and it bleeds profusely if anything touches it, carrying a rucksack is a non-starter. I've got a doctors appointment on Friday and I suspect they'll suggest removing it. Given this is inconveniently close to a trip to the alps has anyone got any top tips for lugging gear (rack, rope, harness etc) without anything touching my shoulder blades?
 tistimetogo 10 Aug 2015

Depends on how much you like to carry but have you considered a bum bag. They are popular with fell runners.

Usually they are tiny (just for a bottle of water and light jacket) but I saw some huge ones last year. Looked uncomfortable. Don't know what brand does big ones.

Just wear harness and ropes.

Slightly off topic but what is the T grade you mention in your profile.
Post edited at 16:11
 goose299 10 Aug 2015
In reply to Reach>Talent:

Take a really good mate who'll carry everything?
 Roadrunner5 10 Aug 2015
In reply to tistimetogo:
you can get OMM bumbags which are much larger, fine for alpine hiking.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/omm-ultra-waist-pouch/

They are pretty comfy if not too weighted.
Post edited at 16:17
 planetmarshall 10 Aug 2015

Sled and waist harness?

Seems like an excellent excuse to get your partner to carry everything!

Depends on what routes, obviously, and how many spare jumpers and sandwiches you want to carry. Harnessed up is OK for a short to medium walk-in (although racked up would be pushing it). Ditto rope in mountaineers coils or flaked over your neck (if this avoids the mole?). OK for a short walk, but begins to wear thin after a while.

Re-plan your trip to focus on super-lightweight ascents?
 gethin_allen 10 Aug 2015

When I had a mole removed from my back they cut it off with a funny cauterising knife which although making a terrible smell of burning flesh sealed the skin perfectly and I was totally fine after ~24 hours.

This mole was right where my belt sits and was removed because I kept catching it and making it bleed so probably pretty similar to your problem.
 Derry 10 Aug 2015

Just single shoulder your pack. You'll look super-cool at the same time!
 Dell 10 Aug 2015

Even your clothes will rub and irritate you. How about a donut washer held over the offending mole, with tape.
These go between toilet cistern and pan, and are fairly big (make an 'O' with your finger and thumb).

http://travisperkins.scene7.com/is/image/travisperkins/C6041_420067_00?$lar...
 Caralynh 10 Aug 2015

The large bumbag idea should work. Husband had a shoulder op a few yrs ago and couldn't carry a pack for a couple of months. We still got out and about, me with a normal sack, him with one of the huge bumbags. Worked fine.
OP Reach>Talent 10 Aug 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:

Cheers they look like they could make life a bit easier, I'll see what the quack says on Friday before exercising the credit card though!
OP Reach>Talent 10 Aug 2015
In reply to tistimetogo:

The T-grade is the future of climbing, simultaneously ending all current grade arguments while starting a whole new set:

The idea is you have a simple grade based on how hard the route is compared to the first couple of metres, so by bouldering out the first few moves you get an idea of your chances on the rest of the route. You then have 5 grades...

-2 the rest of the route is much easier than the start.
-1 the rest of the route is a bit easier than the start.
0 the whole route is of comparable difficulty.
+1 the rest of the route get a bit harder.
+2 the rest of the route is a lot harder.

This makes it easy to guage if it is a good idea to try the route but without giving out a tonne of beta or being too subjective.
 Bluebird 10 Aug 2015

Army surplus chestrig might work? Add/remove pockets depending on what you need? Might impede climbing a little though?
 AlanLittle 10 Aug 2015
In reply to Caralynh:

I've tried one of the large OMM bumbags and it wasn't a success for climbing at all. Gets in the way of gear, chalkbag etc. far more than a small rucksack sitting high does.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...