Looking to upload many GPS routes to a digital map

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 06 Aug 2015
I'm currently trying to upload many GPS routes to a digital map. For example google maps works well when combined with My Tracks. However 'google my maps' has a maximum of 10 layers - thus I can't upload any more than 10 GPS tracks to the map. I can upgrade to google maps pro but this still only lets me upload 20 routes and I'm looking to upload around 60.

Does anyone know any software that can do it? Would just be great to have all the GPS routes uploaded to the same map for future reference.

Thanks very much for any help in advance!
ultrabumbly 06 Aug 2015
In reply to James Rushforth:

Not sure if this will suite your purpose but give it a go:

Garmin Basecamp allows you to display multiple routes. Unless you have access to OS mapping on a garmin device you will need to use some of the free open topos to have any sort of meaningful map. You can convert a track to a route (am assuming you are differentiating between the two). You can then, possibly, join routes together and export to other mapping service and applications as one GPX file. This might give odd results though if one track/route does not have a point in common with another or you exceed the maximum number of points a service will take.

There are probably other ways to approach this

In reply to James Rushforth:

> Would just be great to have all the GPS routes uploaded to the same map for future reference.

Wouldn't the map become rather cluttered?

Are you wanting to use this annotated map for actual navigation, or as a 'look at all the places I've been' record?

If for actual navigation, then having the routes stored, and selectively shown would seem preferable. I've never explored the maximum number of tracks OruxMaps or Locus will allow you to display.

Is there a similar limit for kml files?
Can you combine all the routes into a single file (end transitions might be troublesome...)?

I wrote a script a while back to do a crude GPS lat/long to linear conversion a while ago; not a proper reprojection from WGS84 to OSGB36, but accurate enough for local scope use...
OP James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 07 Aug 2015
In reply to captain paranoia:

Looking to say mark multiple crags and their approaches onto one map for quick personal reference.

Will maybe have to try merging several tracks into one KML file I think...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...