Wild Country Zephyros (not so) lite.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Just a heads up for anyone thinking of buying a Wild Country Zephyros 1 lite. This tent used to be around 300g lighter than the standard Zephyros because of the use of a lighter nylon flysheet and groundsheet, rather than the polyester one used on the standard Zyphyros. Despite Terra Nova's website still claiming that the 'lite' has a nylon ground and flysheet, this is no longer the case, as was confirmed when I rang them.

Now the standard and 'lite' versions are essentially the same tent. The only significant differences are that the 'lite' has thinner guylines and 2 split alloy poles for the ends of the tent, and the price of course. (The lite does have different pegs but they are hopeless and bend on being pushed into wet grass!)

The above knowledge just might help someone avoid ordering a tent on the basis of Terra Nova's description and specification sheets only to be disappointed when it arrives and they discover that they have paid a lot more cash over the price of the standard Zephyros for nothing more than two short alloy poles!
 spenser 04 Aug 2015
In reply to Squidward Tenticles:

Are you sure the pegs are different? They were awful on the original version too!
In reply to spenser:

With the 'lite' you get 8 bendy alloy 'V' pegs, anodised red, and two thin 'meat skewers', perhaps for use in self-defence if attacked by rodents when in the wild. With the standard on you get 10 plain alloy pegs - or at least you did. Going by my experience Terra Nova might have substituted these with wooden stakes by now!

By the way, since I rang them a few days ago Terra Nova seem have updated the descriptions for these tents. Pity they didn't do this when they stopped making the 'lite' to the old (and lighter) specification!
 gethin_allen 04 Aug 2015

If you feel you've been done over with a inaccurate product description send it back.
In reply to gethin_allen:

Can't return it as I have used it: the shop I got it from had to order it in and it only arrived the day before I needed it, and I couldn't have sourced anything else suitable in time.

As I said, this is just a heads up for other potential purchasers who might order one on the strength of all the rave reviews for the original 1250g version of the tent and who might not be aware that the only thing 'extra' you now get for the additional £80 the 'lite' costs (list prices) is two short alloy end poles and thinner guylines.
 DaveHK 04 Aug 2015

> Can't return it as I have used it: the shop I got it from had to order it in and it only arrived the day before I needed it, and I couldn't have sourced anything else suitable in time.

I think you'd still have a claim if it wasn't as described unless they told you when you bought it and you accepted that?

Failing that you could always just wait until the inner tent rips around the suspension points after a few uses (they do in my experience) and return it for that reason.
In reply to DaveHK:
I don't really want to be 'awkward', even though the shop description did still give the 'old' weight for the tent. For what I paid for it it wasn't such a bad deal, just not as good as I was led to expect!

Thanks for the heads up on the inner tent issue. I'll make sure that I don't pull the adjustment tapes too tight.

It is a pity, though, that manufacturers tend to be pretty poor in spreading the word about any specification 'downgrades' they make to their products. To my mind almost all the justification for calling the Zephyros lite, 'lite' evaporated when they began shipping them with the same basic tent construction as the standard tent.
Post edited at 11:33
 DaveHK 04 Aug 2015
> I don't really want to be 'awkward',

Of course if you like it and feel you paid a fair price then keep it but returning it isn't being awkward it's just excercising your rights as a consumer.
Post edited at 12:27

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...