Montane Atomic - is it waterproof?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Graeme G 30 Jul 2015
Some good deals on these at the moment but seem to get negative reviews. Anybody got any experience they could add to the mix?
 DaveHK 30 Jul 2015
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:

Its waterproof but not breathable enough for any active use. I was getting soaked whenever I used it so I tested it with 30 mins in the shower. Bone dry. Which suggests breathabilty is the problem.

I got a good deal too but it it aint a good deal if the kit is useless. Avoid.
Graeme G 31 Jul 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

Thanks. Obviously need to keep shopping around......
 berry6717 31 Jul 2015
I recently purchased an Atomic jacket and I was originally concerned with the breathability. I sweat quite a lot and I haven't noticed that this jacket is particularly worse than others I have owned, either way when I wear it I get sweaty. I found the front pockets helped and when I took it to Scotland this winter it kept me nice a dry and if I chose my layers carefully, i.e. not many and keep moving, I was able to remain comfortable even in a rather unpleasant blizzard. Its also really light weight and packs down easily so I am very happy with it but as I say I sweat a lot so it has just made me more thoughtful about what layers I wear under the coat.

Edit: Especially as I got it for around £65 and the others I was looking at cost £200!!
Post edited at 09:50
Graeme G 31 Jul 2015
In reply to berry6717:

>Its also really light weight and packs down easily

That's what i really fancied about the jacket. I have all the gear i need for keeping dry but i quite fancied something lightweight for seasons other than winter. Interesting how you say you've used it in winter......you've got me thinking now.....

> Edit: Especially as I got it for around £65 and the others I was looking at cost £200!!

Another very poignant thought. Don't want to spend a lot on something i don't really need, it's more of an indulgence than a necessity.

Brass Nipples 31 Jul 2015

Poke some holes in it with nknitting needle below the arms to sort out breathabiluty
 DaveHK 01 Aug 2015

Forgot to say, my dad had the exact same problem with the trousers.
 andyd1970 01 Aug 2015
In reply to DaveHK:
I was looking at the new Atomic 2 in Go outdoors and i found the older version too short in the arms but the newest version seams fine
Not sure if the material is any different though
Andy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...