Which modular crampons?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
cb294 29 Jul 2015
Hi everyone,

obtained permission from above to buy another set of crampons! I am therefore looking for a model with exchangeable front points, preferably convertible from dual to mono.

So far thinking of Petzl Lynx, Grivel G14, or BD Cyborg. Any recommendations?

I would also be interested to hear about alternatives I know nothing about, e.g. Simond,

Thanks,

CB

Col Kingshott 29 Jul 2015
In reply to cb294:

Hello,

As is usual with forums you will get conflicting information. Whichever ones fit your boots best and the intended usage will determine which will be the best set for you. I've used Lynx's for 2 seasons and really like them. They are simple to change from dual to mono front points. They fit my Batura 2.0's really well and have simple but effective anti balling plates. The different front bail options are a good idea as well. I've used G14's in the past but wasn't keen on them and the anti balling plates aren't as robust as the petzl ones, especially on rock.

Kind regards,

Col.
 jezmartin 30 Jul 2015
In reply to cb294:

Can't comment on the other two, however I have used Petzl Lynx over a couple of seasons and think they are great.
 dgbryan 30 Jul 2015
In reply to cb294:

I have a pair of older (pre-stainleess) cyborgs for sale, but little used & with all the spares - put them up here before but couldn't agree a price with various interested parties. They're currently in Hong Kong but I will probably be in UK in September & could bring them with me if you're interested. I forget what I asked originally but I guess about 50 quid?
Let me know & I will pack accordingly.
Damian
 BnB 30 Jul 2015
In reply to cb294:

Like others I use the Lynx (two seasons) and really like them BUT I have such a preference for monopoints that the modularity is pointless (pun intended), although it does mean I have two free spare points. I suspect most do similar, set 'em up as one or the other and forget'em.
cb294 30 Jul 2015
In reply to dgbryan:

Thanks for the offer, but I need to buy the crampons today. Off to the Alps tomorrow!

In reply to all:

Thanks for the feedback,

CB

TobyA 30 Jul 2015
In reply to cb294:

I'm not sure why you would want modular crampons for a summer alpine trip? Anyway, they'll probably be cheaper and have a better selection in places like Chamonix. But what crampons do you have now? What type of climbing do you do - how hard, where, etc.? And what boots do you want them to fit?
cb294 30 Jul 2015
In reply to TobyA:
Hi,

I already have two sets of crampons (G12s and DMM Aguiles) which are a bit bashed up but still totally fine for summer alpinism. However, I will give these to my girls (17 and 19), as for the first time both have asked to come along for some high mountain stuff (up to now I only ever went with one of them). So, I wangled permission from my wife to buy a new set of crampons, and for this I want an upgrade on my G12s, which I have used for ice and mixed climbing as well when I could not borrow some cookie cutters or monopoints.

I am totally aware that this is overkill for what we will do, but it would be a waste to buy a third pair of regular mountaineering crampons.

Thanks for the concern, though.

CB

PS: Unfortunately we won´t be based in Chamonix but Saas Fee, where nothing is cheap....
Post edited at 10:41
 TobyA 30 Jul 2015
In reply to cb294:

Fair enough - when you start lending kit to family members it's always a great excuse to get something else for yourself. I have a selection of helmets that I can now justify as being necessary for when the kids and the wife want to come climbing!

In recent winters I've thought a lot about how maybe I had been kidding myself that monos made any difference to my ice climbing, but then decided it actually depended on when during the winter you climb and what the temp was. Cold (which were I lived meant -15 and below) and new 'bottle ice', then monos help. Warmer, and mid to late season ice, my G12s seemed to work just as well. But then climbing back in the UK this past winter, I decided monos work well on UK mixed even at my middling grades (I did up to tech 6 - although only by mistake mixing pitches up!).

I suspect that you'll be happy with any of the modern modular designs - I think the biggest thing is the clever new binding designs that make them fit loads of different boots - either full step in or semi-. I wouldn't recommend these for the UK http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=6227 because of their aluminium body (although they did me fine for a day on Great End in the Lakes back in March) but the bindings are great for fitting a range of boots. Edelrid make a standard steel version which may well be worth considering!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...