Sub 1Kg solo tent?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tigger 28 Jul 2015
Currently I'm using a a Vango helium 200 and love it (condensation is a constant issue though). However I'm curious if there is a sub 1kg 4 season 1 person tent out there? I'm after something a little bigger than a hooped bivi and preferably double sinned. Any recommendations?
Thanks!
 Timmd 28 Jul 2015
In reply to Tigger:

Try asking on Outdoor Gear Exchange on Facebook too, there's some gear freaks on there who sell/have super lightweight stuff.

It's a selling group, but they sometimes are helpful when people ask stuff.
 Philip 28 Jul 2015
In reply to Tigger:

http://www.bergfreunde.co.uk/the-north-face-mica-fl-1-1-person-tent/?pid=10...

Min weigt 1040g

I had a 1 man North Face tent 15 years ago bought 2nd hand from here for about £10.
 Jack B 28 Jul 2015
In reply to Tigger:
I have and like a laser competition. It's a single transverse pole, plus two short vertical poles at the ends. I can usually adjust the airflow to avoid condensation, and the inner is sufficiently water repellent to keep an occasional drip of condensation out. I can get my kit in with me, and I like that there is both a little space inside the inner for dry kit, and space in the porch for wet kit. The pegs look like paperclips but actually hold well in most terrain, larger ones might be good in some soil types. With the pole cover fitted and all the guys out, I've been fine in fairly substantial winds, it does make a lot of noise though. Once, in very strong winds in Coire Domhain (>50mph, I would guess) it bent downwards so that the the inner touched my face, though that is still preferable to breaking.

I'm not sure I would consider it a true 4 season tent though, I'd prefer to have something tougher up high in winter. That said, Steve Perry used one, or something very similar, for his winter Munro round, so he must have been confident in it.

I have also heard great things about Hillebergs.

Edited to add: I've had a look and it seems Steve Perry used a laserlite, which I think evolved into the laser comp with few changes. Minimum weight advertised was 865g when I bought mine, but with the pole cover (which you want unless it's a calm summer day) and bag it's just under 1Kg.
Post edited at 23:44
 Timmd 28 Jul 2015
In reply to Tigger:

I'm wondering about using just the flysheet from this with an Ookgear ground sheet and a mesh mozzi net cover to hang up inside.

http://www.robens.de/en/Products/Tents/Lite/Buzzard.aspx
 damowilk 29 Jul 2015
In reply to Tigger:

I have a Nordisk Telemark UL1, all you're asking for, also great that it pitches both inner and outer together, or outer first. Claimed weight I think is about 780g for the carbon version, probably really 100g more packed weight.
Downsides: slightly low at foot end, care needed not to be against the fly leading to wet sleeping bag. I had a damp night once, but it was humid and still, so think any tent would have been the same.
 Gazlynn 29 Jul 2015
In reply to Tigger:

Just a slight word of warning and I'm sure someone will say I'm talking rubbish but it's my experience that this lighweight camping is a trade off.

Having owned and used expensive sub 1kg tent and been in the company of others who have and owned other sub 1kg tents.
I've always been dissapointed in them, it's like buying an expensive crisp packet and I've had some horendous nights with collapsing tents due to the wind (Scottish 3 season)

I would now only consider using them in mild summer nights.

My experience is that if you raise the weight a little even to around 1.5kg you get a lot more comfort for your dosh.

Good Luck

cheers

Gaz

AliBaxter 29 Jul 2015
In reply to Gazlynn:

I'd agree with Gaz. I own the Laser Comp 1 and although it's a great tent for Spring type conditions I wouldn't consider using it in really heavy winds (>50mph).

Having said that, options do exist out there to look at:
Tarptent Moment DW (double wall): http://www.tarptent.com/momentdw.html# (effectively a laser comp with an extra reinforcing pole, still <1kg).
review here: http://www.trailspace.com/gear/tarptent/moment-dw/
I know folk who use the 2 man tarp tents (misnomer - not tarps, definitely tents!) and they are fantastic pieces of kit so would be worth a punt. I hear their customer service/importing is pretty spot on too!

Hope this helps,
Alistair
 girlymonkey 29 Jul 2015
In reply to Tigger:

I have had a few nights on in my laser comp where I have wondered when pitching it if I would regret bringing it, but it has always been great. It is noisy and flappy, but it has always stayed solid. I've never had a way of measuring the wind, but it's been in some right hoolies! I have replaced the spindly pegs with proper ones, so maybe added a small amount of weight doing that, but I can't fault it.
 Andy Manthorpe 29 Jul 2015
In reply to AliBaxter:
The Tarptent Moment DW is 1150g with the additional longitudinal pole !
Post edited at 10:34
 Bluebird 29 Jul 2015
In reply to Tigger:

I use laser ultra (the cuben one) which has stood up to a real battering (60 mph gusts) which is testament to the design and fabric in my opinion. I also have the new Hille Enan which is just sublime. Slightly bigger, same design just feels much more solid and weighs as much as a bag of crisps. Also has space to cook in which is very handy (usual caveats about flames, CO and tents of course)
 Simon Caldwell 29 Jul 2015
In reply to damowilk:

> I have a Nordisk Telemark UL1, all you're asking for, also great that it pitches both inner and outer together, or outer first.

We've got a UL2, which we use for mountain marathons. A great little tent, weighs about 900g and is comfortable for two. But I'd never describe it as 4 season. Maybe 3 at a push, but in strong winds and heavy rain you're going to get cold and probably wet.
 nniff 29 Jul 2015
In reply to Tigger:

The majority of tents used in the OMM seem to be Laser Comps. That's always the weekend when the clocks change in the Autumn. A screaming gale in January? Maybe not, but pitched with care, perhaps
 AliBaxter 29 Jul 2015
In reply to Andy Manthorpe:

How about rather than trolling for "mistakes" totalling 150g you try to make a more useful suggestion that might actually help Mike out! Or do you have nothing better to do with your time Andy?!
 Andrew Wilson 29 Jul 2015
In reply to Tigger:

I use a Terra Nova Solar. It is light and compact, must be under 1kg but not certain.
It is a single pole and the inner pitches first. Almost certainly not sold as a 4 season tent but mine was fine for a very windy week on Mingulay this May. Had Only on a couple of occasions did it "cuddle" me in the night. It was roomy enough too although I am a bit OCD with organisation.

The door and zip configuration is good for cooking even if weather foul.

Andy
 OwenM 29 Jul 2015
In reply to Tigger:

I've just got a Tarptent Notch weighs in at 700g but it's designed to be pitched using your walking pole. I've not used it yet in any weather but it feels quite stable, I wouldn't call in a 4 season tent though.
Pictures here http://donthaveone-owen.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/the-new-tent.html
 damowilk 29 Jul 2015
In reply to Simon Caldwell:
Missed the bit in OP about 4 seasons, and yes, the Telemark isn't 4 seasons.
I'd be surprised and impressed if any of the sub 1kg 2 skin tents properly are.
OP Tigger 30 Jul 2015
I was basically just wondering if my 'perfect tent' existed. I don't mind carrying a few extra grams if need be. Has anyone used the Alpkit Ordos 2?

SFM 31 Jul 2015
In reply to Tigger:

basically, this.... http://terrybnd.blogspot.fr/2012/03/rab-ridge-master-bivi-bivouac.html

like others I've used a Laserlite in pretty horrible conditions and it wasn't the most restful night. I'd be reluctant to use it in anything like winter conditions.
By way of comparison I've just gotten a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 (also described as 3 season) for MM's. I've it used(once) in strong winds to see how it fared and it felt more sturdy than the Laserlite. Not really tested it in driving rain yet so no idea how it copes with that. Otherwise v impressed with the construction and design.
ultrabumbly 31 Jul 2015
In reply to Tigger:

I just spent a good deal of time researching tents prior to a purchase (I went for a tarptent Scarp in the end as I wanted something that would see me through a UK winter(opt. extra pole set) but I have the intention of getting a Notch or another TT lightweight shelter for next spring).

One thing to be aware of when comparing specs is exactly what is included in its weight. For instance nearly every long term Laser review I read mention quite some user mods (usually adding a little to weight)and nearly everyone ditches the supplied pegs for sturdier and heavier units. (I've used one for about 12 nights and I could see some shortcomings). The long term reviews tend to go into length about pitching in a variety of weathers and grounds. Many people bitch about getting a laser taut on a slightly uneven pitch. e.g that one flat bit of grass you see in 2 miles as its getting dark. Personally I would rather carry a one or two hundred grams extra and get that time back as quality rest and not carry a heavy bag next day due to poor venting etc.

I can recommend looking up Chris Townsend's reviews of shelters over the years as a lot of people will blog away on the basis of a couple of nights wild camping and the rest in the garden and are into the whole engineering of mods in and off itself. People like CT lug them about and sleep in them often and can compare them to each other and similar models.
 london_huddy 31 Jul 2015
In reply to SFM:

Another vote for big agnes tents: my Seedhouse SL 2 has seen some pretty hairy weather and at 1.2kg is pretty light.
 Steve Perry 31 Jul 2015
In reply to Jack B:

> I'm not sure I would consider it a true 4 season tent though, I'd prefer to have something tougher up high in winter. That said, Steve Perry used one, or something very similar, for his winter Munro round, so he must have been confident in it.

> I have also heard great things about Hillebergs.

> Edited to add: I've had a look and it seems Steve Perry used a laserlite, which I think evolved into the laser comp with few changes. Minimum weight advertised was 865g when I bought mine, but with the pole cover (which you want unless it's a calm summer day) and bag it's just under 1Kg.

I still have it 10 years later, still use it and have no plans to change it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...