BMC Guidebook History

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JimboWizbo 28 Jul 2015
I have a horrible affliction that means I can't go into a second hand bookshop and not try to clear it out of historic climbing guidebooks.

Climbers Club have a really great history of their published guides...
http://www.climbers-club.co.uk/information-summary-list/archives/historical...

But I can't find anything similar from the BMC, any ideas?

I'm aware of the "guidebook guidebook" that documents every UK guidebook ever published, but I haven't found a good enough excuse to buy it yet.
 nigel baker 29 Jul 2015
In reply to JimboWizbo:

If you are interested in old guides then you need this book!!
If you are a BMC member then you can buy it at a very reasonable price from their website.
 deacondeacon 29 Jul 2015
In reply to JimboWizbo:
The BMC have a book called
British And Irish Climbing Guidebooks 1894 to 2011 A Collectors Guide
which is the book you're looking for. It's all guidebooks, not just the BMC ones and it has interesting notes about the books as well as colour photos of all the front covers.
I got mine from a BMC stall at Cliffhanger and it was either thrown in for free with another purchase or I paid about £3 for it. Can't remember which, but I remember getting it for next to nothing.
Basically if you enjoy collecting guidebooks is more of a necessity than a luxury
 deacondeacon 29 Jul 2015
In reply to JimboWizbo:

I've just looked it up on the BMC website. It's a fiver you tight git
 Simon Caldwell 29 Jul 2015
In reply to JimboWizbo:

> I have a horrible affliction that means I can't go into a second hand bookshop and not try to clear it out of historic climbing guidebooks.
> I'm aware of the "guidebook guidebook" that documents every UK guidebook ever published, but I haven't found a good enough excuse to buy it yet.

I think your last paragraph contradicts your first?!
OP JimboWizbo 29 Jul 2015
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

I haven't come across it in a second hand book shop yet!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...