Bivvy Spots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Nick_Merriman 28 Jul 2015

Following on from my previous post yesterday regarding how to stay dry whilst bivvying - Does anyone know where is good place to bivvy on a summer night for good senic views etc?

Are there any legislations or anything of that nature?

Cheers

Nick
Post edited at 21:36
 bigbobbyking 28 Jul 2015
In reply to Nick_Merriman:

Where abouts are you going? It's a big world out there...

I've only bivvied out a couple of times below Gimmer Crag and Cyrn Las ready for climbing the next day. I'm sure there are more spectacular places to go but both had superb views and I have fond memories of the bivy and following day's climbing.

I think you're supposed to ask the land owners permission but this isn't really practical. As long as you are discrete I'm sure you won't have a problem. Just don't go too close to buildings and stay a little way off popular walking tracks.

David
OP Nick_Merriman 28 Jul 2015
In reply to bigbobbyking:

Thinking Peak District for a start.
 Billhook 29 Jul 2015

You won;t get many scenic views at night - unless you like town/city scapes- well especially if the weather has been like it has the last couple of days.

It doesn't take much working out that the best views are normally those where you can see furthest in the day, therefore you want to be up high or on the edge of hills and the like. And there's lots of that in the Peaks District.

Regard it the same as camping. All land is private but no one is likely to have an issue with some walker/mountaineer dossing in a bag up the side of some hill.
 LeeWood 29 Jul 2015

> Are there any legislations or anything of that nature?

The art of bivvy is 'don't get caught'. In practice choose wisely and there will be no issue. During the course of many years my concerns have been less for landowner/legal intervention and far more for thuggish intrusion - but this is only likely close to suburban sprawl - forced stops when hitch-hiking.
 deepsoup 29 Jul 2015
In reply to Dave Perry:
> You won;t get many scenic views at night

If you manage to get away from the light pollution (so probably not in the Peak then), the view straight up on a clear night can be plenty. Like most people I live in an urban area and go months on end without seeing more than the Moon, the odd planet and a handful of stars so a proper dark sky is a real treat.

> It doesn't take much working out that the best views are normally those where you can see furthest in the day, therefore you want to be up high or on the edge of hills and the like.

Also may be the best bet for enough of a breeze to keep the dreaded midges off.

In the Peak, the Derwent edges could be worth a look. Back Tor especially. (If you don't mind the scenic view to the East having Sheffield slap bang in the middle of it.)

On the other side of the valley, maybe Alport Castles. It's a very atmospheric place. There's a little birdwatching hut up there that would be horribly uncomfortable to try to sleep in but does at least offer shelter if the weather turns nasty (or sanctuary if the midges go into a feeding frenzy).

There's a long history of folk bivvying in the cave at Laddow. (It's not much of a cave, but a dry stone wall was built some time in the last century to offer a bit more shelter.) It's east (ish) facing, that one, so if you're lucky you get woken by the rising sun.

Rob Exile Ward 29 Jul 2015
In reply to deepsoup:

I think the Brecon Beacons are rated for minimal light pollution, so that could be a good spot for a bivi, on top of Cribyn say.
OP Nick_Merriman 29 Jul 2015

Thanks for the responses guys =).

Where's the best places you have stayed?

Nick
 LeeWood 30 Jul 2015

> Where's the best places you have stayed?

It's an attractive idea to be on top of a mountain - but this takes some extra effort and organisation. My current fav is the picnic area below the dam at Cavallers. Too convenient on cropped grass in valley bottom and next to a river, but actually a superb clifforama and night sky. Cygnus spanning it down the MilkyWay
 Pbob 30 Jul 2015

Big flat boulder in the middle of the bounder field 100 yards down glacier from the Argentiere hut on the Argentiere glacier. Unparalled views across the glacier. Watch the green glow from the icefalls on the north face of the Droite at night and the marmots at dusk. Magical.
 Bulls Crack 30 Jul 2015

Wolfscote Dale cave in the Peak

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...