BMC or MCofS

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Papasean 28 Jul 2015

Dear All,

I have been a BMC member for a number of years now, but I have recently moved north of the border and was wondering about changing from the BMC to MCofS.

Is the any reason why I should/shouldn't, as I undertake my wanderings both north and south of the border?
Are there any regulations ie Live in Scotland - MCofS and England - BMC?
Insurance issues?

Sorry if this is not the right section!

Cheers

Papasean
Post edited at 18:41
In reply to Papasean:

The insurance is pretty much the same. MCofS travel insurance comes through BMC, personal liability insurance is probably a different broker.

The magazines are different. I've never seen the BMC one, the MCofS magazine is good.

My guess is if you are into Hill Walking and now live in Scotland you will find less reason to go walking in England - this is where the mountains are - so MCofS is probably a better bet.
 Simon Caldwell 29 Jul 2015
In reply to Papasean:

The MCofS magazine is much more "old school" than the BMC one, and hence much better. I'd go for MCofS for that reason alone.
 DannyC 29 Jul 2015
In reply to Papasean:

It might be best value for you to join an affiliated club? That way you'd get hut access and potential new partners, as well as the mag and insurance benefits. Worth considering, anyway.

D.
 henwardian 29 Jul 2015
In reply to Papasean:

Another way to look at this is to think that the membership fee you pay goes towards representing your interests in either England/Wales or Scotland depending on who you subscribe to.
If you think MCofS could do you more good as representing you in the country you now live in, then you could switch to MCofS. Or, conversely you might feel that with the open access legislation in Scotland being so far ahead of England and Wales, your fees would be better spent with the BMC.

Or you could have other reasons to pick one or the other but I would encourage you to pick the organisation based on what they represent and what they are fighting for. It's kind of a democratic thing really
In reply to Papasean:

I asked for a BMC discount at an outdoor shop north of the border and they said they only discount for MCofS.
 Lucy Wallace 30 Jul 2015
In reply to Papasean:

In addition to the sensible arguments above:

MCofS is a much smaller organisation with far fewer members due to their location- as such they could really do with your support.... BMC do a superb job, and their size means that they have a strong lobbying voice, but I've always felt that MCofS are especially approachable and communicative.

If that doesn't sway you, MCofS also offer some superb courses, (winter skills, navigation...) which is not something that the BMC do....

StuDoig 30 Jul 2015
In reply to Papasean:

If you're north of the border I'd go with MCofS as they will be the ones working on any local access issues etc.

You still get access to the BMC insurance being an MCofS member.

Their magazine is also pretty good, and available as digital only if you want to save a copy being printed for you.

Stu
Jim C 30 Jul 2015
In reply to Vanessa Simmons:

Can you remember which shop that was Vanessa? My mate is BMC and seems to have no issues, and he is tight, he would always want his discount
(No Scottish jokes tight though, he is English)
 PN82 30 Jul 2015
In reply to Papasean:

I was in the same position a few years ago when I moved from England to Scotland.

Having been members of both, I'd say I get the most value from being a MCofS than BMC.

Apart from the fact I paid £17.50 for 1 years membership this year and got a £30 silva exped 4 compass as a free gift; I'd say that MCofS does a better job of representing the rights of Scottish hill goers and provides better information throughout the year.

The BMC is still very much a 'climbers' orientated organisation which is fine if that is your main activity, whereas MCofS is more walking/mountaineering orientated.

As for discounts, most shops give discount to both MCofS and BMC members, the only ones that don't are snow and rock, they don't recognise MCofS for whatever reason, possibly as they have no stores in Scotland. Hopefully now that Cotswolds have taken them over they will recognise that there are one or two mountain users over the border that may be interested in shopping with them. Also tiso's don't discount anyone because of their daft discount card you have to pay for.

Anyhoo, I'm getting sidetracked! Now you are in bonnie Scotland join the MCofS that's just my 2 cents
In reply to Jim C:
It may have been Tiso in Inverness (or possibly Ice Factor Kinlochleven). I was in Tiso twice in the same week and was served by different people. The first time they gave me a MTA discount but the second time they wouldn't (small purchase 2nd time so I didn't quibble). Now I come to think of it, it may have been Craigdon Inverness that only discounted MCofS. Sorry! My memory's not what it was!
Post edited at 10:31
Alex Messenger, BMC 31 Jul 2015
In reply to Papasean:

Well, the good news is that if you decide to stay with the BMC, you're still supporting the MCofS access work. The BMC funds the MCofS with almost £15,000 per year, to help employ their access officer.

A good article about the BMC and MCofS working together is:

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/why-the-threat-to-scotlands-mountains-could-be-big...

However, if you do switch to the MCofS, then you can still take out our BMC Travel Insurance.

Get in touch with us at office@thebmc.co.uk if you need any more info!

Cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...