Recommend me a tent

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Emily_pipes 26 Jul 2015
I'm going to have to retire my Hilleberg tent sooner rather than later, as my bodge job repairs to the rain fly are failing. Got me through a few trips this summer, but I'm going to Skye for a couple weekends in August and if there is any typically Skye wind, it will go very wrong.

Looking for a 3-man 4-season tent. Can't spend a ton of cash, unfortunately. Like £300 or thereabouts (or less) would be okay, so replacing it with another Hilleberg, or getting a Quasar, are not options. I'm not fussed by weight, as I mostly car camp. I usually go to the West and Northwest Highlands, so it needs to be able to withstand a lot of serious wind and rain. I would fancy something long lasting. I'm liking the idea of the Vango Force 10s; I know they weigh a ton, but they look pretty good in other respects and they don't cost the earth.

What do people think of those? Any other suggestions? Anyone with a suitable tent they are looking to rehome?
General Lee 26 Jul 2015
In reply to Emily_pipes:

I just bought a tent of ebay and I think it is worth looking at what is going on ebay as lots of people either upgrade or find out that camping is not for them after barely using tents.

See what is going and do your research based on what you see for the price you are willing to pay.
 MtnGeekUK 26 Jul 2015
In reply to Emily_pipes:

Someone selling a Robens 4 season tent on Outdoor Gear Exchange fb group for £130 if that helps?
OP Emily_pipes 26 Jul 2015
In reply to MtnGeekUK:

Can someone paste the link to that Facebook group? My search on FB shows a gear shop in Burlington, VT, which is a bit far away.
 Dr.S at work 26 Jul 2015
In reply to Emily_pipes:

Can you just replace the fly?
OP Emily_pipes 26 Jul 2015
In reply to Dr.S at work:

I wish. I looked into it and Hilleberg would charge me £600 to £800 for a new fly.
 goatee 26 Jul 2015
In reply to Emily_pipes:

If weight isn't an issue then have a look at a Vango hurricane or similar
 mishabruml 26 Jul 2015
In reply to Emily_pipes:

Have you managed to get on Outdoor Gear Exchange? Theres been some decent deals recently. Someone was selling a Quasar for £300!

If you aren't concerned about weight, and your priorities are wind-proofness, 4 season, and budget, then Vango is probably gonna be your best bet. Banshees are apparently very good in the wind, and there is a 3 man version.

This year I bought an MSR Mutha Hubba NX 3 with footprint from here http://www.be-wak.com/msr-mutha-hubba-nx-grey-hiking-tent-pack-deal-02754.h... for £353. I absolutely love it, it has been battered in the Lakes and Scotland this summer with no problems, but not used it in winter yet so can't comment on that. I'd be pretty confident in it, though I'm not a winter climber so thats not what I bought it for- I chose this tent because its lightweight, exceptionally wel designed and built, and very spacious even with 3 people + gear. Perfect for weekend 2/3 man weekends at remote crags with long walk ins.
 MtnGeekUK 26 Jul 2015
In reply to Emily_pipes:

Here's the group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/usedgearexchangeuk/

The Robens tent was posted yesterday by Glenn - either scroll down, or search within the group (can only do the search on desktop fb)

Removed User 26 Jul 2015
In reply to Emily_pipes:

It may not be exactly what you're after, but I can only recommend Quechua 2 seconds tents from Decathlon. Extremely cheap and surprisingly long lasting (10 years of regular use and it never leaked). Strong wind doesn't seem to be a problem, either. The only downside is that you can't really carry it around because of its shape when packed.
 timmeehhhh 26 Jul 2015
In reply to Emily_pipes:

Eureka Assault Outfitter 4.

Roomy and heavy duty 4-season tent, weighs 8 kilo's, but is compact enough for car camping.
You can buy it on their website at around your budget.
 Slarti B 27 Jul 2015
In reply to Emily_pipes:

I have a Nordisk Oppland 3 which seems like a cheaper version of Hilleberg. Have had for a year and very happy with it so far.
If you go to German web sites can get SI version for €440 (about £315) or PU version for €240 (approx £170)
eg http://www.outdoorfair.de/p-en-3216-nordisk-oppland-3-si.aspx?VariantID=600...
OP Emily_pipes 29 Jul 2015
In reply to Emily_pipes:

How about Wild Country? Anyone have any views of their tents? Specifically the Trisars. They seem like the poor man's equivalent of the Quasar.

There are a few used Force 10s floating around on ebay. Any thoughts on them?
 Mal Grey 29 Jul 2015
In reply to Emily_pipes:

WC Trisar 2D is very much a de-specced Quasar. Not the lightest, but well made.

The standard Trisar is basically 2/3 of a Quasar. Removing the other porch obviously reduces space, but also makes it less stable.
cb294 29 Jul 2015
In reply to Emily_pipes:

If you have to exclude Hillebergs I can only recommend the Vaude dome type tents. Almost as bombproof and considerably cheaper.

I only have personal experience with the smaller Power Odyssee, which is excellent. The three man version is called Power Atreus, which I have seen pitched but have not used in person. Looked just as good as the smaller one, though, with plenty of space for sitting out shit weather.

Main advantage is that they are pitched inner and outer together, something I also really like in the Hilleberg tents, especially for use in rainy conditions.

Just don´t be put off by the stupid names, these tents are definitely worth a look.

CB
In reply to cb294:
Only excluding Hillebergs due to price. I'd love to just replace my rain fly, but it's not really option.

There is a Quasar on Gumtree for £150. Is it too good to be true?
Post edited at 13:24
 Ian.Hogg 29 Jul 2015
In reply to Emily_pipes:

> How about Wild Country? Anyone have any views of their tents? Specifically the Trisars. They seem like the poor man's equivalent of the Quasar.

I wouldnt recommend a Trisar for windy conditions. I camped out half way up Ingleborough a couple of weeks ago in fairly windy conditions, had issues trying to get the poles in and the tent pitched, and the wind blew the side of the tent in, so I slept with one side 'pushed in' by the pressure of the wind against the side. You definitely need the fourth pole of the quasar to give the required rigidity in strong winds.
 Gazlynn 29 Jul 2015
In reply to Emily_pipes:

Have you looked at the Msr Mutha Hubba

http://www.firstascent.co.uk/msr-mutha-hubba-tent.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjw8-GtBR...

I've not used one but own a hubba and it's impressive.

cheers

Gaz
 obi-wan nick b 29 Jul 2015
In reply to Emily_pipes:

> Only excluding Hillebergs due to price. I'd love to just replace my rain fly, but it's not really option.

Have you tried this place for non-bodged repair / replacement of your existing flysheet?
https://www.scottishmountaingear.com/repair-service/tent-repairs
Rummmer 29 Jul 2015
In reply to Emily_pipes:

I have the 200 and is perfect for horrible weather streamlined so wind doesn't batter it!!!

http://www.outbacktrading.co.uk/product/vango-tempest-300-tent-2015/?gclid=...
In reply to obi-wan nick b:

Aye, been there, done that. They said the UV damage was too extensive to take a proper repair, hence my dodgy bodge job. And they could not offer a replacement fly sheet for less than £600.

I have friends with the Vangos and the MSRs. Will check them out.
 MtnGeekUK 30 Jul 2015
In reply to Emily_pipes:

Terra Nova sell replacement bits on their site - Hilleberg dont!?
In reply to Emily_pipes:

If you would be interested in a Mountain Hardwear Trango 3.1, then I might have a hardly used one for sale

It's not the latest model, looks like this. http://www.trailspace.com/gear/mountain-hardwear/trango-3.1/

OP Emily_pipes 30 Jul 2015
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

Oohh.... yes, definitely interested in the Trango.

And no, Hilleberg don't have replacement flies on their site. I had to phone and ask them about it.
 TobyA 30 Jul 2015

The Trango has been around donkey's years now but a couple of friends had faults in their's. I can't remember what now but bad stuff like groundsheets or fly sheets leaking badly.
In reply to TobyA:

Nothing wrong with mine
OP Emily_pipes 30 Jul 2015
In reply to TobyA:

I have friends who love their Trangos.

Sometimes, you get unlucky. I'd have been singing the praises of Hilleberg until this past May. The fly sheet ripped in the wind and was deemed not repairable (or under 'lifetime' warranty) due to UV damage, and as I said above, Hilleberg charges nearly the price of a new tent for a replacement fly sheet. Really bummed about this, as the tent is only 8 years old, but hopefully will make the best of it.
 TobyA 30 Jul 2015

Yeah, I imagine most of those problems were worked out ages ago, although you hear of tents the other way around, eg. Quasars - old ones last for ever, newer ones having poles break or other probs etc. It is well proven design by now.
In reply to Emily_pipes: Nothing wrong with a Force Ten; old fashioned tents, so you'll not win any style awards, but they are built like tanks and if you're camping out of the carr, their weight isn't an issue.

Otherwise, the suggestion of VauDe tents isn't a bad shout. The Mk II is a well-tested (that is to say, old) design and is available in a long version if that's an issue. You may need to add guys for severe weather but otherwise they're fine and the strange exoskeleton arrangement does work. Pitches in one too, rather than inner and outer seperately.

Other Vango models may suit you too. Have a look at their website and see what suits you, then do a websearch for prices. The tension band system used in a lot of their tents does give them good stability if pitched correctly.

If you choose to go second hand, see if there are any MacPac tents on offer. The Olympus may suit your needs and the older models are, I think, better constructed than the newer ones.

Whatever you choose, I wish you fair weather and few midges on Skye. It's too long since I was last there and I can feel the itch to go back.

T.

malk 30 Jul 2015
In reply to Emily_pipes:

Vango Banshee 300- can't go wrong at that price. i reckon it'll be as sturdy as the more expensive options..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...