Is Trail Running shoes suitable for backpacking?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
chaldakov 24 Jul 2015
Is Speedcross Trail Running shoes suitable for backpacking (10 kg) up to 3000 m? http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007SK9V64/ref=cts_sh_1_fbt?pi=SL110

Thank you
In reply to chaldakov:

Will there be snow? Will it be cold?
Will your feet be getting wet? Will they have chance to dry? Are you using sealskinz socks?
How strong are your ankles/feet?

I tend to use either approach shoes or trail running shoes for everything, but its a game of tradeoffs!
Moley 24 Jul 2015
In reply to chaldakov:

I've used assorted fell/trail trainers for everything, but it's what I'm used to. I certainly wouldn't recommend you to buy a pair and use them for a big trip if you've always worn boots before.

I totally go with the above comments regards, snow, cold, water etc.
 dr_botnik 24 Jul 2015
In reply to chaldakov:

Don't know about these shoes in particular, but recently I have been running in La sportiva anakondas that look similar. The thing is, although these are built for running long distance, they are also built light weight. This means there is less support to the heel of the ankle and the sole of the foot.
If you are walking on hard paths or rocks, the large spikes (or "lugs") on the sole actually provide less grip as there is less contact area. However, I imagine these would perform well on snow (they certainly do on grass/mud/fine scree).
One obvious problem in snow would be lack of insulation.
Another problem is lack of protection as there is little padding around the toes and none on the ankle (this may be different for the Solomon you are suggesting).
I would personally prefer some proper boots for long walks, but I would consider my anakondas for long treks if it was on soft ground and I was moving fast and light.
 ed_runnalls 24 Jul 2015
In reply to chaldakov:

I've been backpacking (probably carrying 10-16kg) in 3 season boots and also hill running shoes. I had no problem with sore feet in either so would say it's a non-issue for me. Ankle support also a non-issue, I use walking poles but not sure how much difference that would make.

In terms of using mesh running shoes I haven't found any problems with having wet feet over multiple days. I just squeeze out the water from the inner soles when taking a break to avoid the squelchy feeling when walking. Foot care is the same as using wet boots. I tend to just use plastic bags inside the running shoes as camp shoes.

Haven't used running shoes in snow yet so couldn't comment on that.
chaldakov 24 Jul 2015
In reply to chaldakov:

Thank you for your time!
You help me
 SenzuBean 24 Jul 2015
In reply to chaldakov:

I've used inov8s for 4 day tramping trips in NZ (approx 7kg backpack) - performed excellently, and a 100km walk in 27 hours in the UK (on the flat). But depends on the terrain - personally I'd hate to use trail runners on scree.
 brianrunner 24 Jul 2015
In reply to chaldakov:

Yes, I have used trail running shoes (various asics) for 1000's of miles of backpacking. To counter snow/cold take a spare pair of socks, also trail shoes dry quickly as long as you keep moving. But I guess you would be best trying them out say for a weekend carrying your pack before going for a longer trip.
 mbh 25 Jul 2015
In reply to chaldakov:

I did nine days on the GR20 in an old pair of Roclites, with 12ish kg on my back. It was dry and warm and there was no snow. They were fine.
 Roadrunner5 25 Jul 2015
In reply to chaldakov:

I'm not sure they are a great hiking shoe, they have a high heal lift. I'd look at a more standard profile trail shoe, they will have more typical stability. The high heal lift can be handy when running, other find it unstable...
 damowilk 26 Jul 2015
In reply to chaldakov:

I use Inov8 mudclaws for everything other than Winter Stuff here in NZ (and even then if I'm approaching a Winter climb, I'll often keep them on in snow.) But as others have said, it's a trade off. I've used shoes rather than boots for many years and gradually built up distances and weight. I also accept I'll get a year out of them before replacing them, though old ones get down graded to bike shoes etc
 Kean 26 Jul 2015
In reply to chaldakov: agree with above, big fan of using trail running/approach for most things. I'd add that I don't recall ever having toe bash on descents in trail running shoes, whereas I often get it in leather walking boots.

lone 27 Jul 2015
In reply to chaldakov:

I've traversed the Rhinogs and most of Snowdonia in Trainers over 6 days, Adidas Kanadia TR6's which is a trail shoe with good treds, all though the altitude was not 3000m the terrain was most important. I've worn trainers for years so I'm used to them, biggest issue is lack of ankle support and perhaps a sturdy sole that you'd get with a boot, but I had no issues with a 12kg back pack and traversing difficult terrain. Foot placement is key. Wet rock is an issue (as it probably would be with boots too) so taking the time to get foot placement right helps a lot. I find boot's heavy and tiresome, I use boots in Winter but also use trainers with a Gortex sock for insulation in snow but on easier terrain like moorland.

Jase
 Marek 27 Jul 2015
In reply to chaldakov:

In general, many trail running shoes can be OK (depending on your particular foot/ankle/leg characteristics), but I wouldn't recommend the Speedcrosses due to their very thin and pliable forefoot support and high heal lift. They're great for short to medium runs particularly on smoother trails, but on anything rougher and longer your feet are likely to suffer.
 Neil Williams 27 Jul 2015
In reply to chaldakov:
Possibly, but no ankle support (you're more likely to need that with heavy weight on your back as you're more likely to stumble) and often not waterproof (you can put up with wet feet for a few hours' running as you're pouring with sweat anyway, but it would be grim for a few days' backpacking).

Get proper boots would be my advice.

Neil
Post edited at 11:27
 Simon Caldwell 27 Jul 2015
In reply to chaldakov:

I don't know that particular model, but the claim of "water resistant uppers" is of concern. If they stop water getting in, then they'll also stop water getting out, and it's inevitable when backpacking in running shoes that some water will get in.

More generally, I often backpack in fell shoes. You'll get wet feet, but they'll dry off if the weather improves, and overnight. It's not for everyone, but becoming a lot more common.
chaldakov 28 Jul 2015
In reply to chaldakov:
Do anyone have any experience with La Sportiva Core High GTX Shoes? Is it suitable for backpacking? http://www.lasportiva.com/en/catalago/hiking/hiking-man/mens/datails/produc...
Post edited at 00:07
 Roadrunner5 28 Jul 2015
In reply to chaldakov:

yeah they just look like any canvass boot?
 Simon Caldwell 28 Jul 2015
In reply to chaldakov:

Depends what you think of Goretex fabric boots. Personally I avoid them - they stay dry for a while, until they don't, at which point they stay wet.
 RyanOsborne 28 Jul 2015
In reply to chaldakov:

Maybe a good bet would be to go out for a long walk in your normal boots, and take some trail runners with you (I use innove8 roclites for hiking mostly) and try them both out, see if they work for you? For me, as soon as I started using trainers, I've avoided boots at all costs. Obviously I still use boots if it's really wet ground, or snow etc as said above, but if I'm on a trail or dry off-trail hiking then I'll go for trainers every time.
 Only a hill 28 Jul 2015
In reply to chaldakov:
You need to have strong ankles and good balance/reflexes, but yes, you can backpack in anything.

I recently completed the Cape Wrath Trail in minimal trail-running shoes (Inov-8 Roclite 295) with few issues, despite continuously wet and rough conditions underfoot. I had no blisters or foot injuries. The shoes did, however, suffer considerable wear on the journey.

I personally would have no issues wearing trail-running shoes for virtually anything short of full-blown winter mountaineering.

As another user said, it's a game of tradeoffs!

P.S. Goretex shoes are best avoided in my experience. They hold the water in, don't dry out, and can result in trench foot. Perversely, unlined, quick-drying shoes usually result in drier feet overall.
Post edited at 13:31
Falung 28 Jul 2015
In reply to chaldakov:
Earlier this summer I spent a month walking in alps, up to 2,700m, a mixture of road, dirt tracks, trails and grassland. The routine was mostly one-three hour hill climbs almost every morning, anywhere where from 3-15 km walks in the afternoon and every third day or so walking between 20-30 km between towns. All this carrying a 23 kg rucksack but with walking poles.

From the outset I ignored boots and went straight with Merrell Moabs. But I soon abandoned them in favour of Teva Tera-Fi and Keen Owyhee sandals. Boots are a pain for me. They lack sponginess, hold water and sweat, are hot, heavy and don't provide any real ankle support - not enough to save you if you roll your foot. Also, the heels tend to be so high and the lack of tactile feedback from terrain leaves me far more unstable in them. The only advantage is the protection they provide from sticks, thorns, knocks against rocks and any cold (not an issue where I was).

Sandals on the other hand have some pretty obvious advantages. Your foot is free to expand, they are completely breathable, dry in an instant, are comfortable and flexible plus the keens had an enclosed toe and mostly covered exterior. The two pairs I had were almost fresh out of the box and gave me no discomfort or blisters. In fact I outpaced anyone I walked with and I'm pretty sure they were carrying less than the 23 kg I was.

The only downside was walking through fields where cut straw and sticks could work their way inside, as could small stones at times, and that your feet will get grimy (rather than wrinkled as they do in enclosed footwear). But these were irritants. Walking through streams, dew covered grass or wet ground was no longer dooming my feet to several hours of soaking, my knees and ankles thanked me for it and walking was simply far more pleasant.

My feeling is boots, and possibly even trail shoes, are largely over-spec or a hindrance for anything other than really rough terrain or extreme cold/weather.
Post edited at 14:46
 mbh 28 Jul 2015
In reply to Falung:
I have never had much luck with boots. I always seem to buy them too big or too small.

I ditched a fancy pair of Salomon boots this summer mid-way through a hiking holiday in the Pyrenees. They were so painful to walk in, especially on descents, and the two smaller toes on each foot were running with blood. They were clearly too small, but I don't know why it became such an issue on this holiday. I had done the Welsh 3000s in them.
Anyway, I did the remaining 900m ascent/descent and 20 k of that day's walking in a really loose pair of Birkenstocks (flip-flops, basically), through all the small stones, leaves, wet mud and cow shit, then bought a pair of approach shoes for the rest in the next town. I would have gone for sandals, but there weren't any in the shops.
Post edited at 15:24
chaldakov 28 Jul 2015
In reply to chaldakov:

Thank you for your time! You help me!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...