Easy summits near Briancon in the alps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ewanjp 21 Jul 2015
Could someone recommend me some easy summits near Briancon in France? We're both happy on grade 1 scrambles in the UK and have a rock climbing background.

Ideally looking for a good day out on something relatively tall and pointy!
OP ewanjp 21 Jul 2015
In reply to ewanjp:

Bump - anyone?
In reply to ewanjp:

Hi

There are a few options in the Cerces for rocky peaks, maybe the arête de la bruyere or something on the lauzet? I live near briancon drop me a email and I can probably help with some other ideas?
Rob@dream-trails.com

Cheers
 Doug 22 Jul 2015
In reply to ewanjp:

Depends what you mean by near - I've been to the summits of several hills in the Val Clarée on skis which I imagine would be walks in the summer, likewise in the Queyras. Ailefroide & access to many easy peaks in the Ecrins isn't far away (an hours drive ?)
 robhorton 22 Jul 2015
In reply to ewanjp:

There are a few via ferratas which are quite good - The Croix de Touloise for instance. Bernard Ranc's guidebook is useful although there are a few routes which aren't included, you can find out about them online or from a leaflet available from the tourist information or sport shops.
 michaelmurray 22 Jul 2015
In reply to ewanjp:

Not Briancon but this book has a mixture of walks, scrambles, climbs and via ferratas in the Maurienne:

http://www.cicerone.co.uk/product/detail.cfm/book/621/title/mountain-advent...
OP ewanjp 27 Jul 2015
In reply to ewanjp:

Thanks all - badmarmot will drop you a mail.

robhorton - purchased the circone guide for the VF - some of those will def be on the list!
 kenr 28 Jul 2015
In reply to robhorton:
> There are a few via ferratas which are quite good - The Croix de Toulouse for instance.

Yes Croix de Toulouse is especially good if you like to make climbing moves with hands and feet directly on the rock (using the steel cable only for protection, not aid).

Aiguillette de Lauzet by via ferrata is supposed to have nice views, but I've heard does not offer much climbing with hands and feet directly on the rock.

I found VF des Vigneaux to be good for direct rock moves, but they don't go to a significant summit.

Ken

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...