OS Maps and OS Mapfinder - what's the difference?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MtnGeekUK 19 Jul 2015
Having just seen that my GetAMap subscription is about to end, I see it is being replaced.

OS seem to have these two separate services, without any real explanation about the differences.

From what I can see:
- Map Finder = purchase tiles from relevant app store. Tiles then available from your account across all devices (and can be downloaded to use offline)

- Maps = almost identical to above, but the purchase comes as part of a paper map purchases (via scratch panel and a code)

If this is the case (only surmised this from little info on OS site), then to my mind seems a bit pointless having two services? Surely better for customers and development team to have one platform?

Or have I missed something?

Either way, its my old Memory Map collection destined for the bin...
ultrabumbly 19 Jul 2015
In reply to MtnGeekUK:

if you get the os maps online subscription you can print out for free for the year upto 1:25k (and in A3) There is no need to bother with the paper maps unless you want a large field of view to spread on a table.

The interface is not ideal but is still in development. For instance you can't easily get all the printable area of a 1:25k on the screen at once as you are selecting your area to print without zooming (ctrl +, Ctrl -)out the whole browser which in turn makes the menu text shrink to near unreadable. Apart from little things like that I have found it really good the past 2-3 months I have been using it. If you would buy more than a couple of maps a year it pays for itself and I like not having the hassle of scanning in maps I already have for reprinting etc.
OP MtnGeekUK 19 Jul 2015
In reply to ultrabumbly:

So the OS Maps is the direct replacement for GetAMap.

So what's the point of the MapFinder? Or is this being phased out?
ultrabumbly 19 Jul 2015
In reply to MtnGeekUK:
yes it is the replacement for getamap. https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/shop/os-maps-online.html

edit: I think they are still keeping getamap as it allows for offline use. My suspicion is that they will eventually integrate the two products as there is way too much overlap and the you now get the digital download code map with paper maps which I think uses getamap. (I haven't bought a paper map since these came out).

edit 2: I meant mapfinder in edit 1
Post edited at 16:16
 foxwood 19 Jul 2015
In reply to MtnGeekUK:

The service for the new maps with scratch panel only started this month.

I bought some and downloaded the app and maps but couldn't get it to work on first trip in an area with no phone signal !

It now seems to work offline ok though so might have just been an initial glitch with phone app.

That said, the new maps app seems to perform better than the old tiles one now I have got it working.

The tiles are brilliant if you just need a small area though - if there is a signal just buy on the move works fine.

I contacted them since I also have a lot of tiles purchased which means using 2 apps. It seems they are going to amalgamate the two apps in the future - all part of ongoing development they say
 Mr Trebus 20 Jul 2015
In reply to ultrabumbly:

> edit: I think they are still keeping getamap as it allows for offline use.

I think the reason for getting rid of it was it was based on MS Silverlight, but some browsers have pulled support for it.

I much prefer OS Maps online, the A3 printing is really handy.

I no longer feel the need to buy paper maps anymore and prefer the ability to have a 25k and 50k map of the area I am in.

Neil Williams 20 Jul 2015
In reply to Mr Trebus:

Silverlight was utter rubbish and didn't work properly on Macs. The new service is pretty good - I only have two problems with it, one of them is that it doesn't stop you subscribing twice on one account as I thought it was separate from Getamap (to be fair they did refund the second one), and the other that when you print and select the "scale" mode you can't see the full extent of the print on screen so have to guess.

Neil
 Monk 20 Jul 2015
In reply to MtnGeekUK

> Either way, its my old Memory Map collection destined for the bin...

If you have memory map maps then download the memory map app and you can copy your original maps to the device. There are instructions online if you Google.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...