Cord width for abseil stations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kingjam 15 Jul 2015
Hi

If I am rigging and abseil using cord what width would you suggest to use ? Also I generally use double fishermen knots , any issues there ?

Thanks
James
 climbwhenready 15 Jul 2015
In reply to kingjam:

I normally use 7mm for abrasion resistance, 5mm is theoretically strong enough but you might be worried about it being cut.

No problem with double fishermans.
 CurlyStevo 15 Jul 2015
In reply to kingjam:
Whatever I've got spare. 5mm loops are around 10kn so way strong enough but can be cut through by sharp rock or abrasion a bit too easily to buy that for purpose (although I used them in the past). I'd go for 6 or 7 mm (or more) depending how sharp the rock is / weight is an issue / often they are intended to be used before removal.
Post edited at 14:24
 GrahamD 15 Jul 2015
In reply to kingjam:

For one off use in retreat or as a long term installation ? For one off use 5mm or 6mm is OK but for a permanent station something like 10mm semi static is about minimum. Double fishermans is fine if thats what you are happy with.
 GridNorth 15 Jul 2015
In reply to kingjam:
The thickest cord you have available that will fit into the given situation, the thicker, in most cases, the better. Why put 5mm cord round a fat tree trunk if you have 11mm for example?

If you mean the thinnest you can get away with, 5mm is adequate. I've even abseiled on a shoe lace many years ago. Out of necessity I might add and not a recommendation.

Al
Post edited at 15:22
OP kingjam 16 Jul 2015
In reply to kingjam:

Thanks all
 Aigen 16 Jul 2015
In reply to kingjam:

vimeo.com/126266810

Here is a very good video.
 GridNorth 16 Jul 2015
In reply to Aigen:

Personally, if I was rigging that as a "permanent" anchor I would use maillons on each bolt with that style of hanger.

Al
 NottsRich 16 Jul 2015
In reply to GridNorth:

Absolutely yes!!!
 Rick Graham 16 Jul 2015
In reply to kingjam:

Any knot that is correctly tied. DF ideal.

Two of everything to provide redundancy.

Metal, krab or maillon, to ease rope retrieval and reduce wear.

Continuous loops of rope rather than tied in to bolt/ thread so the full length of the cord can be visually inspected for wear ( or eating by mice !! ). It also evens out wear points.

Never understood the rational behind static rope. The short lengths involved mean stretch is minimal and climbing rope knots so much more securely. Retired climbing rope is fine if the sheath is in reasonable condition.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...