waterproof for running and mtbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BedRock 13 Jul 2015
Hi all
Have started fell running and MTBing and am in need of a womens waterproof jacket I can use for both, but before splashing out thought I'd see what people recommend. Happy to spend some money for a good product that will last. looking for something approved by FR rules, needs to be light and packable into running/bike pack.

I get hot easily...and get cold easily so needs to be breathable.

Am i best getting one jacket or two?

Thanks in advance
 edunn 13 Jul 2015
In reply to BedRock:

Berghaus PacLite works fine for me. Mine is about 8 years old now and coming to the end of its useful life (the lining is starting to peel away in high-wear areas), but has generally been great in all conditions/ seasons.

90% of the time you will only need one jacket. But if you're going for two then I would say for MTB'ing you need something a little more robust than running. Running you can get away with a super light 'shower-proof' packs-to-the-size-of-a-golf-ball type thing, whereas MTB you tend to get a bit cooler (especially on the downhills), so something actually waterproof is best.

wbo 13 Jul 2015
In reply to BedRock: do you really need it to be waterproof ? I have an Adidas climacool jacket that does the job for a lot of occasions, but is not waterproof to any degree

OP BedRock 13 Jul 2015
In reply to wbo:

I think I do...I live in Scotland and more often than not I'm out in the rain.
I tend to do longer distances on the bike 30Km plus and do MTB marathons.

For fell running jackets needs to have taped seams to pass the gear check
 wbo 13 Jul 2015
In reply to BedRock:
Well I have a Berghaus Velium but dint use it that much as I get too hot doing really strenuous activities in it. Most of the time a soft shell of some flavor.

I live in S Norway so similar weather
 Brian Pollock 13 Jul 2015
In reply to BedRock:

Marmot Essence - weighs nothing and has arm vents.
 The New NickB 13 Jul 2015
In reply to BedRock:

You need two jackets, but not two waterproofs. A pertex wind proof offers loads of protection and breaths well. Have a waterproof in your bag for when it gets really horrible. Even the most expensive don't breath enough when it is throwing it down and you are working hard. You will get wet.

I use an OMM wind proof and an Inov-8 Race Shell, but I've tried loads and performance is pretty similar with any fell running targeted wind proof and waterproof.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...