The brightest torch?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 12 Jul 2015
I have a yellow frogman torch which serves me well on night shifts.

However there is a bit of Willie waving at work about who has the brightest hand held torch. And I want to be in the running. So, I would appreciate any recommendations for a torch roughly the size of a frogman's but freakishly bright.

Cheers muchly
 Timmd 12 Jul 2015
 Alex Slipchuk 12 Jul 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

Would it not be easier, and effectively straight to the point, if you just compared willys.
 Andrew Wilson 12 Jul 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

The new Maglite LED torches are extremely bright.
We used to have this competition in Scouts (25 years ago)

Have fun.
OP The Lemming 12 Jul 2015
In reply to Timmd:
I had one of those torches but gave it away.

It's an excellent torch and very bright. However it's flaw was that every time you turned it on, the torch cycled through to the next of its 7 settings. Having to click the button 7 times got very annoying and time consuming, especially when I needed light in a hurry.
Post edited at 09:13
In reply to Timmd:

Just spotted this torch but the YouTube clip scared me.
http://m.wickedlasers.com/torch
 Rich L 12 Jul 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

The Fenix LD41 is a similar size to the frogman, also runs off 4 AA batteries, but is not waterproof. However, it is over four times brighter, and similarly priced. Don't have one myself, but I have a couple of Fenix torches, and I rate them highly.

If you go down the rechargeable/lithium battery route then things can get very silly

In reply to Rich L:

This sounds like a more suitable/safe torch for work. Thanks for the suggestion. Now what about those lithium battery variants?

http://www.torchdirect.co.uk/fenix-professional-torches/fenix-ld41-led-torc...
In reply to The Lemming:
A Fenix would be a good choice. Take your pick from the vast range of sizes and outputs, etc. Many are just too powerful though esp for what your using a torch for!

I've got a LD41. Phenomenal torch for its size and weight.

Edit. Oops Rich L beat me to it!
Post edited at 10:07
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

> Many are just too powerful though esp for what your using a torch for!

So, not a good idea to check pupil dilation then?
 gethin_allen 12 Jul 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

I have a couple of cheap Chinese Cree led torches, they are massively bright but battery life on the lower settings is only about 30 min and that's using 3.7v 4000mah lithium ion batteries.
In reply to The Lemming:
Certainly not in turbo mode! The strobe mode would probably render them blinded for a long period.

I use mine over winter in pitch blackness, sometimes for light painting photography, and turbo mode can be too much for my eyes when it gets reflected off surfaces.
In reply to The Lemming:

Bright enough to cook a turkey...?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=goWuvXz1qC4
In reply to captain paranoia:

> Bright enough to cook a turkey...?

> www.youtube.com/watch?v=goWuvXz1qC4

And this British eccentric has created a 100w LED torch.
In reply to The Lemming:

Would help if I added a link for the 100w torch

youtube.com/watch?v=CIBIqaeiE2M&

Doh!
 joelc 12 Jul 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

I got hold of an Ammonite Led One for a winter caving/cave diving project in the Austrian Alps earlier this year. Used it almost continuously above & below the water for almost a week underground & I'm very impressed with it. It's not cheap but seems to be hugely superior to all the other AA-type lamps that I've used with one hell of a beam. Just an added bonus that the kinky design allows it to double-up as a toy for the ladies

http://ammonite-diving.co.uk/index.php?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...