Beginner alpine routes - Alps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
tomjbennett1 08 Jul 2015
So I'm going to walk the Tour du Mont Blanc solo late August, and if all goes to plan, I'll have a couple of days to kill in Chamonix once I've completed the route.
Now, I want to use the time to hire the appropriate gear and have a go at some easier ascent routes in the area. The first problem is that I'm a total beginner. I've never had any winter walking experience, but I do know the basics of crampon and ice axe uses and know how to rope up.
I'll also be alone. I'm hoping that I'll meet some people that I can tag along with when I'm there but if all else fails, is there anywhere I can simply have a play and get accustomed to the gear over a couple of days?
I know, I know, I should get sufficient training - and I'd love to, but simply can't afford any guides for this trip. Any help or advice would be wonderful, thanks!
 yorkshirebloke 08 Jul 2015
In reply to tomjbennett1:

Done the same thing a few times solo TMB then Days out up high...
I need to grab my maps and recount where I went at work tonight but I can let you know more later or tomorrow...
Its a great place for getting partners, great tourist info weather and maps - all English speakers
I recommend you use the lifts and walk hut to hut across dry glaciers is ok just keep off deep snow on glaciers when alone...

R
 goose299 09 Jul 2015

You've never used poons or an axe.
Fork out and get a guide. You'll enjoy it more
 Derry 09 Jul 2015

If you go up the Grand Montets cable car (from Argientiere) it takes you up to the snowfield below Aguille Petite Vert. I was there on Monday and there were a tonne of people practicing cramponing and ice axe technique. Admittedly they were all with guides and in their droves, but I did think 'what a great place to learn technique'. Straight off the cable car and there is some easy angled ground with no major danger if you slip. I'll send you a pic.

However, you may get summit fever and think 'that looks easy' especially with the queue going up there. There was a slightly tricky ice pitch, loads of loose snow and worst of all, people everywhere. A tricky scenario for a beginner going solo. And, final note, this was all last week. In August it will have all changed.
 Mark Haward 10 Jul 2015

Easy to meet people out there, not always easy to tell if they know what they are doing or talking about.
Personally I would avoid Petite Verte area if solo as it is a wet glacier with plenty of slots to fall into if you don't know what you are doing.
From Chamonix head up ( walk or train ) to Montenvers and get onto the dry Mer de Glace. Does involve down climbing some steepish ladders but you could protect yourself with via ferrata kit if required. Great place to hone crampon, axe, ice screw skills. If with others you can also set up top rope climbing on steeper sections further up the glacier. Great walk up glacier - perhaps visit the Couvercle or Envers huts - again as long as you are comfortable with ladders.
The Aiguilles Rouges gives great snow practice, especially making snow anchors. Also several easier routes to walk / scramble / climb above the Lac Blanc and Index areas. I believe Mont Buet is good too, never done it myself. Perhaps buy 'easy ascents in the Mont Blancrange' by Burnier and Potard.
 veteye 10 Jul 2015

Put a message in the message book in the central office of the guides in Chamonix and just give some idea of what you have climbed grade wise. You will find someone who is happy to climb with you.

It may be sensible to do one or two of the many multi-pitch bolted routes on the Aiguilles Rouge to further acclimatise, and then head off up on the opposite side of the valley.

Guides are not as bad if you can join with others, but on your own they are expensive.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...