Triathlon GPS Watch?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Cloquet 07 Jul 2015
Does anyone have a recommendation for a suitable GPS watch which I can use on triathlon training and events - I specifically want to have a read-out display showing the cumulative height gain during a run but I am not bothered by HR read-out.

Garmin prices are just silly and most of the features of their high end range are not used by many of my fellow tri. eventers who are of National, European and International standard - data for data's sake as opposed to anything truly useful.
 steelbru 07 Jul 2015
In reply to Andy Cloquet:

The Garmin 910XT is a tri specific watch, which you should be able to pick up pretty cheap now as the 920XT is out.

One of its numerous data fields that you can choose to display is "Total Ascent" which is described as "Total elevation gain for current activity".

Can't remember if it counts the bike and run as part of the one activity or as separate activities.
 StefanB 07 Jul 2015
In reply to steelbru:

> The Garmin 910XT is a tri specific watch, which you should be able to pick up pretty cheap now as the 920XT is out.

The 310XT is even cheaper, but quite an old model now. With the latest frimware it works very well for outdoor swimming, but does not have the lap counting "pool" features of the 910.
Does all I need though. Configurable dispalys for all three sports, auto-multisport mode.
 Angrypenguin 07 Jul 2015

The TomTom multisport is good, has a cadence sensor for the bike as well as all the usual gps readouts, waterproof for swimming too. Not high end by any means but a lot for the money. AFIK the altimeter isn't present on the slightly cheaper "runner" model.

Super detailed review here: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/07/tomtom-runner-multisport.html
 balmybaldwin 07 Jul 2015

Aldi did one in one of their specials last week, might be a few knocking about
notaclue 07 Jul 2015
In reply to balmybaldwin:

I have a suunto and it is brilliant and can cover all elements of tri - and can have a long battery life if needed

It is really good
OP Andy Cloquet 08 Jul 2015
Thanks to all: plenty of information to look at and so much more helpful than trawling the web.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...