Cairngorms winter multi-day bothy expedition suggestions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JayPee630 03 Jul 2015

Hi all,

Just starting to plan a multi-day trip in the Cairngorms next winter. I've got about a 2-3 week window and I'd like to do all or as many as possible of the big mountain peaks. Have been thinking a few 3-5 day trips, coming down to a town for a day or so for washing gear and resupplying food between each one, but would be possibly up for a longer trip as part of this.

Hoping to work it in as a bothy to bothy trip so save the weight of a tent. Anyone done anything similar, or got suggestions?

Cheers.
Post edited at 13:13
In reply to JayPee630:

Hi Jay,

I lived in Aviemore for a year or so and found that in the depths of winter the Cairngorms are an extremely hostile place so in anything other than perfect conditions you really need to curb your ambition.. In deep snow, any kind of travel without skis or shoes is impossible.

Saying that if you've got the weather and the kit then Corrour and the Hutchinson are both great bothys and combined with a stay in Braemar would make a great link up from the north. Remember to take some coal and have fun!

S
OP JayPee630 03 Jul 2015
In reply to Samuel Wainwright:

Thanks, but I've done plenty of Scottish winter days and trips, am Winter ML trained, and am well aware of Scottish weather and hazards.
 Ramblin dave 03 Jul 2015
In reply to JayPee630:

I've done Blair Atholl to Aviemore over three days via the Tarf Hotel and Glen Feshie - that's a cracking walk and the middle day feels properly remote. Either of those two bothies are walkable from Corrour as well given reasonable conditions. And then Corrour over to the Hutchie... The network of bothies in the Cairngorms is really fantastic, there's nowhere else that I've found that's quite so nicely arranged for big link-ups.
OP JayPee630 03 Jul 2015
In reply to Ramblin dave:

That sounds a good leg to do. Hopefully going to have 2 vehicles so can work out linear walks rather than being stuck doing circular routes.
 Ramblin dave 03 Jul 2015
In reply to JayPee630:

We did it by train!

Linn of Dee seems hard to get to without a car, though.
In reply to JayPee630:

Okay mate. You probably know the best haunts in the Cairngorms already then. Many of my big ski touring trips ended up being lengthy visits to the skiing doo instead!!

All the best,

S
 nickh1964 06 Jul 2015
In reply to JayPee630:

I would not rely on a bothy having space, so you need to have a tent or bivvy gear in case of there being no room. As you are winter ML trained you do of course have the snow hole option too.
OP JayPee630 06 Jul 2015
In reply to nickh1964:

Yeah, I think we'll carry a bivi bag and shovel in case of that happening.
 Dave the Rave 06 Jul 2015
In reply to JayPee630:
Have a read of Cairngorm John.
Some good pics of bothies in summer, then in winter.
You've probably read it though?
OP JayPee630 06 Jul 2015
In reply to Dave the Rave:

No I haven't, thanks for the recommendation.
 Dave the Rave 06 Jul 2015
In reply to JayPee630:
> No I haven't, thanks for the recommendation.

I was being mildly sarcastic
There's a picture of a hut in summer, then the next photo in winter offers you to spot the bothy. There's about 6'' of chimney sticking out of the snow
Post edited at 19:34
 Sealwife 06 Jul 2015
In reply to Ramblin dave:

Bus to Braemar from Aberdeen. There used to be a Post Bus went to Linn of Dee from Braemar but not sure if it still does. Otherwise, walk or hitch.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...