Anti-Atlas Morocco Rock Video!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BALD EAGLE 30 Jun 2015
Good afternoon UKC

I know we are well into Summer here but if you are thinking or looking for inspiration for an easily affordable alternative to the usual "Winter sun" rock climbing destinations with simple logistics of flights and car hire, then I can highly recommend the superlative Anti-Atlas region of Morocco. My buddies and I went to visit this amazing region earlier in the year to sample the world class Trad climbing where there are more fantastic 3* classics to last several lifetimes and a gazillion acres of virgin rock for any new routers out there!

As for the weather? Well for a week at the the end of January we had 7 days of constant sunshine, daytime temperatures of over 20c so many crags were visited and lots of climbs were clambered. Anyway the entertainment was duly recorded so for anyone interested in viewing a short HD video featuring animated maps, the amazing Kasbah Tizourgane which is THE place to stay, climbing on the Tusker Pinnacle (the Anti-Atlas equivalent of the Napes Needle) plus the golden sun-kissed White Dome Towers and a smorgasbord of flora and fauna (look out for the crazy tree-climbing goats) the please use the following link:

youtube.com/watch?v=dvqDzORiPl4&

If you wish to sample the full High Def experience and your computer has enough va va voom, you should be able to change the "Quality" icon to 1080p HD in the bottom right hand corner on the You Tube screen. All constructive feedback welcome, please feel free to share and hopefully it will inspire a few folks to visit this amazing region and climb a pinnacle or a golden mountain multi-pitch route!

Cheers and happy climbing

Dave
 Gav Parker 30 Jun 2015
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Excellent once again Dave...perfect lunchtime pick me up!
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Another great film from you ! Thank you so much. This is what climbing is all about and I'm looking forward to seeing the next adventure !
 Hillseeker 30 Jun 2015
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Nice vid. Looks a great area to go.

GridNorth 30 Jun 2015
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

I've been twice and can't wait to get back. Adventure climbing at it's best and without the worry of the weather. Mind you there are the snakes and the scorpions.

In my old age I seem to have settled on two favourite venues which I will keep returning to and if I never went anywhere else I would be content, Morocco for the trad and Kalymnos for the sport. But then there is Yosemite and Val di Mello and the Dolomites and.....

Al
 deepstar 30 Jun 2015
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Well Done Dave, another great video.
OP BALD EAGLE 30 Jun 2015
In reply to Gav Parker, I like climbing and toasted:

> Excellent once again Dave...perfect lunchtime pick me up!

Hey guys just got back from a very warm but great evening of climbing and checked in so many thanks for the positive feedback as it is muchly appreciated and makes the long hours of editing worthwhile! Cheers Dave

OP BALD EAGLE 30 Jun 2015
In reply to GridNorth:

> I've been twice and can't wait to get back. Adventure climbing at it's best and without the worry of the weather. Mind you there are the snakes and the scorpions.

> In my old age I seem to have settled on two favourite venues which I will keep returning to and if I never went anywhere else I would be content, Morocco for the trad and Kalymnos for the sport. But then there is Yosemite and Val di Mello and the Dolomites and.....

> Al

Hey Al thanks for posting and the Anti-Atlas is adventure trad climbing at it's best as you say! I can't wait to go back and my flights are already booked for next February.... Cheers Dave
Removed User 01 Jul 2015
In reply to BALD EAGLE:
While you mention the Kasbah T, one shouldn't underestimate the in-town attractions of staying in Tafraoute, just down the way
Post edited at 00:39
OP BALD EAGLE 01 Jul 2015
In reply to deepstar:

> Well Done Dave, another great video.

Hey Deepstar thanks for taking the time to post some feedback! Cheers Dave
 GridNorth 01 Jul 2015
In reply to Removed UserGnT:

Come on. Spit it out. You mean alcohol don't you?

Al
In reply to GridNorth:

> Come on. Spit it out. You mean alcohol don't you?

> Al

Hi Al I have to confess I bought a couple of bottles of vino tinto at Gatwick duty free as a relaxing tipple apres-climb for our trip this year, but also managed to purchase the odd cold fizzy drink from Les Amandiers in Tafroute! Purely to rehydrate after a hot days climbing of course...
 Doug 01 Jul 2015
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Thanks for that, and its a welcome change to have a climbing video where the musics enjoyable.

What sort of grades are those routes ? -they look easy enough for an aged almost ex climber (don't get out much at the moment)
In reply to Doug:

> Thanks for that, and its a welcome change to have a climbing video where the musics enjoyable.

> What sort of grades are those routes ? -they look easy enough for an aged almost ex climber (don't get out much at the moment)

Hey Doug many thanks and I'm glad you also enjoyed the music as I thought it complemented the visuals pretty well.
Both climbs were pretty modest of grade as I went out to Morocco with a stonking cold and was a snivelling wreck! Anyway the first route on the Boars Wall pinnacle was a classic 3* Severe called Tusker and the second route was a very nice 2* HS (I think?) called South Ridge on Tower 5 of the White Dome Area. So lots of great routes for the lower grade climber as well as the wads! Cheers Dave

Mick Ward 01 Jul 2015
In reply to I like climbing:

> Another great film from you ! Thank you so much. This is what climbing is all about and I'm looking forward to seeing the next adventure !

Totally agree. This is beautifully filmed, stunningly evocative. Easy(ish) trad paradise?

Mick
In reply to Mick Ward:

> Totally agree. This is beautifully filmed, stunningly evocative. Easy(ish) trad paradise?

> Mick

Hey Mick thanks a million for your kind words as it is muchly appreciated! As for the climbing? Enough 3* classics at whatever grade you climb and acres of virgin rock for any new routers out there to merit many visits to this amazing region... Cheers Dave
davegreg 02 Jul 2015
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Wonderful video! Thanks for your share. I particularly like the sunset.
 Sankey 02 Jul 2015
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Nice video. Took a non climbing trip around that part of Morocco earlier in the year and you captured the atmosphere really well. Just driving around, taking short walks (and drinking plenty of mint tea) was enough to know it is a special part of the world.
OP BALD EAGLE 02 Jul 2015
In reply to davegreg:

> Wonderful video! Thanks for your share. I particularly like the sunset.

Heya Dave a big fat thanks for your kind words and glad you enjoyed the vid! Both the sunrise and sunsets over the Kasbah were spectacular and just asking to be time-lapsed... Cheers Dave
OP BALD EAGLE 02 Jul 2015
In reply to Sankey:

> Nice video. Took a non climbing trip around that part of Morocco earlier in the year and you captured the atmosphere really well. Just driving around, taking short walks (and drinking plenty of mint tea) was enough to know it is a special part of the world.

Hiya Sankey and thanks for taking the time to post and "yup" the Anti-Atlas is a very special place. Not just for the climbing, but the culture, people and the trekking + mountain biking is excellent as well! I tried a lot of mint tea on our trip but the best was served by the delightful Boutaina at the Tizourghane Kasbah.... Cheers Dave
 BusyLizzie 05 Jul 2015
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Magical - your best yet, I think. Delightful wildlife shots as well as the climbing. Very well done!
L
OP BALD EAGLE 05 Jul 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:
> Magical - your best yet, I think. Delightful wildlife shots as well as the climbing. Very well done!

> L

Hey Lizzie many thanks for the kind words and glad you enjoyed the vid! The wildlife, especially those tree climbing goats, was pretty amazing... Cheers Dave
Post edited at 20:14
 ezzpbee 06 Jul 2015
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Another great video, each one gets better
 Martin Bennett 06 Jul 2015
In reply to GridNorth:

And Red Rocks, Al, don't forget Red Rocks. My tenth visit to Anti Atlas was in March. I guess I'll be back in October or November- if I keep it up I might get to like it!
OP BALD EAGLE 07 Jul 2015
In reply to ezzpbee:
> Another great video, each one gets better

Hey ezzpbee a maa-hoosive thanks for taking the time to post and glad you enjoyed my wee vid! Cheers Dave
Post edited at 13:58
OP BALD EAGLE 09 Jul 2015
In reply to Martin Bennett:

> My tenth visit to Anti Atlas was in March. I guess I'll be back in October or November- if I keep it up I might get to like it!

Tenth visit? Sounds like you already like the Anti-Atlas quite a lot.....

keith sanders 12 Jul 2015
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Hi Dave .
Your've scored again lad I going to keep mates with you cos tha gunna be fameous wun day.
OP BALD EAGLE 13 Jul 2015
In reply to keith sanders:

> Hi Dave .

> Your've scored again lad I going to keep mates with you cos tha gunna be fameous wun day.

Hey Keith tha is very kind though fame is very unlikely methinks! Oh and the cheque is in the post.....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...