Looking to walk Snowdon - anyone interested?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
anth3 27 Jun 2015
Hi all

I am researching into walking the horseshoe route in the Snowdonia National Park in the coming weeks. Starting from Pen-Y-Pass and working our way to Crib Goch, Snowdon and Y Lliwedd.

I have just recently ascended Helvellyn in the Lake District and now want to take on Snowdonia.. weather and work permitting.

If anyone would like to accompany me on this trip or suggest something that would be great.. There is no date set as of yet.
 Dave the Rave 27 Jun 2015
In reply to anth3:

Sounds a plan. That's where they trained for Everest in the fifties! How long does it take to do the horseshoe? Are there beds in that cafe at the top?
anth3 27 Jun 2015
In reply to Dave the Rave:
Unfortunately no beds! but I believe they sell alcohol which might help calm your nerves if your not good with heights. The horseshoe takes 5-6 hours.

EDIT: http://www.walk-snowdonia.co.uk/rshoe.php
Post edited at 21:22
In reply to anth3:

> Unfortunately no beds! but I believe they sell alcohol which might help calm your nerves if your not good with heights. The horseshoe takes 5-6 hours.

What time would you be setting off? The licensing laws are strange in wales .
6 hours is a long day. Best make it a two dayer! It's not The Lakes you know! What hard wear do you have?
 Bulls Crack 27 Jun 2015
In reply to anth3:

Is that you Sav? If so; welcome back!
Lusk 27 Jun 2015
In reply to anth3:

I'm willing to sacrifice a day and bring some blankets (pillows on special request) and a couple of crates of ale up on the train for you, if you fancy bivvying on the top.

Expenses paid of course
anth3 27 Jun 2015

I think your right, it would be best making it a 2 day trip and I'd aim to arrive at around evening time on the first day.

Need to look into campsite options near the route starting point. Any ideas?

As for gear I have a climbing helmet, harness, boots, walking pole, daysack, tent and general accessories for camping/hillwalking
In reply to anth3:

> I think your right, it would be best making it a 2 day trip and I'd aim to arrive at around evening time on the first day.
Could camp at Penny Pass. It's free at night.

> Need to look into campsite options near the route starting point. Any ideas?
See above . There's a couple of streams to cold the beer in

> As for gear I have a climbing helmet, harness, boots, walking pole, daysack, tent and general accessories for camping/hillwalking
No I mean 'gear'. Even Coleridge had a cheeky one prior to any event. Poles may be adverse to a successful route. They don't like poles much in north wales, or any Eastern Europeans, whether they can walk or not!
 John Ww 28 Jun 2015
In reply to Bulls Crack:

My thoughts exactly

JW
In reply to anth3:

You shouldn't need a helmet or a harness for the Horseshoe. A good pair of legs and boots, lots of snacks, water and banter is all that's needed. Camera optional but highly advised if weather is good. Poles are a good idea too but they won't be much use on Crib Goch or along Lliwedd - more of a hazard really.

Have fun, be safe and don't commit until you've seen the weather report.
Lusk 28 Jun 2015
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

If our man doesn't like steep scrambling, the Crib North ridge detour is well worth it
anth3 28 Jun 2015

> Could camp at Penny Pass. It's free at night.
Lyn Gwynant campsite is close to Pen y pass http://gwynant.com/pages/information/index.html

> See above . There's a couple of streams to cold the beer in

> No I mean 'gear'. Even Coleridge had a cheeky one prior to any event.
Not sure what you mean by this, sorry!

Poles may be adverse to a successful route. They don't like poles much in north wales, or any Eastern Europeans, whether they can walk or not!
That's interesting. I haven't really used it, however just something I have as part of my equipment.

anth3 28 Jun 2015
In reply to Bulls Crack:

Is that you Sav? If so; welcome back!

No I'm not Sav, Bull I'm a new member to the forum
anth3 28 Jun 2015
Anyone fancy this or not?

DancingOnRock 28 Jun 2015
In reply to anth3:

It's a classic route. I'm aiming to do Crib Goch in October later this year with friends and suspect we will do the whole horseshoe. We've done the second half before.

I think if you're serious about it you need to set a date and see who would accompany you rather than an open invitation with no dates to several thousand strangers on this forum.

If you stay at that campsite, the bus stop is opposite, get the bus around 9am on a Saturday and it'll be packed with people doing Crib Goch. You certainly won't be alone.

Removed User 29 Jun 2015
In reply to anth3:

Doing the horseshoe with a pal on Wenesday. Catching the 10.10 bus up from Nant Peris. Look out for the pair of ageing hippies.
anth3 30 Jun 2015
Anyone available for the weekend of August 8th, 9th?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...