Insurance options for Patagonia

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sheelba 26 Jun 2015
Looking into insurance options for our trip to South America. We are going for 6 months. While out there will be doing some trekking, some conservation volunteer work and hopefully some climbing.

Climbing wise we will only be going alpine climbing for about 1-2 months of this (a friend is Chile is going to be sent our kit). We hope to do some rock climbing in Peru and Chile thorughout the trip and then when we get to Patagonia a couple of alpine peaks of PD-AD (thinking Cerro Tronador and Cerro Castillo), and rock alpine routes in Torres Del Paine around 5.8, 5.9 (the shark's fin and Elina's Chapel possibly).

I have contacted the BMC and they have told me to fill in the high altitude and remote regions questionnaire which I will do however I think the insurance could be very expensive for something which will only be a part of the trip. What seems to make most sense is to get a normal travel insurance and then some rescue (although I think this maybe free/limited in patagonia?) and emergency health insurance for the mountaineering part of the trip (like the AAC alpine insurance). There is a limit of 90 days to the AAC insurance, they say that you can contact the insurance company if you are going for more than 90 days but the website is all in German so it's difficult to get more information (although I am planning on having a go at contacting them).

Does anyone know of any other insurance options that might be suitable? or had any experience insuring this style of trip?
 Tom Last 26 Jun 2015
In reply to sheelba:
Hi.

I used the BMC worldwide alpine insurance for climbing in Paine back in February.

In theory, there is a rescue team for Paine, realistically it's unlikely to happen and they're unlikely to have pilots/choppers too. So no possibility of rescue really, I don't know the situation for El Chalten, but I'm sure somebody will.
BUT you have to have proper insurance to get your climbing permit when entering Paine. It's a faff to sort it at the park administration but basically when you arrive at the head of Val de Silencio, or if challenged when in Bader or French (for Shark's Fin) valleys, you will need to produce your climbing permits, otherwise you'll be asked to leave/won't be allowed to proceed. You also MUST HAVE a pass from governmental borders agency DIFROL to secure your climbing pass (allow a few weeks for this, but you can apply online.

I wouldn't try to dodge the park authorities since you have to pass them if you go into Silencio and they may well be about in Bader or French Valleys (sod's law innit).

It's a bit of a faff basically.

I'd have thought that - if buying BMC at least - you'd need to buy 6 months worth of worldwide alpine insurance if you want to do even a day or two's worth of climbing in Paine.

Good luck, DM me if you have further questions.

Tom

PS, what's Elina's Chapel?
PPS, you need a climbing permit just to go into Bader and Silencio, or to camp in French - even if you're not climbing in them.
Post edited at 14:04
OP sheelba 28 Jun 2015
In reply to Tom Last:

Thanks again Tom, sent you a PM
 Tom Last 29 Jun 2015
In reply to sheelba:

Have replied to your email.

Cheers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...