Scotland - classic walks for a first timer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Wulfrunian 21 Jun 2015
Evening all.

Got a fortuitous week in Aviemore coming up in August and want to get a fair bit of walking in. However, having never walked north of the border (Snowdonia is our usual haunt), I don't know a fat lot about what's what in Scotland. Intending to venture up Ben Nevis via CMD, found some nice looking routes in the Cairngorms but could really do with your help concerning any must-do walks within an hour or two of Aviemore. Will be with the wife, who is fine with exposure and easy scrambling (welsh grade 1) but nothing more lairy, so I guess that rules out a lot of the big ridges. However, Ben Alligin looks like a good 'un. Then there's Suilven...

Your recommendations please!

Thanks.
 Mike-W-99 21 Jun 2015
In reply to Wulfrunian:
NE ridge of Sgòr an Lochain Uaine is a very pleasant grade 1 scramble. Long walk in and out but finishes on a pointy summit with great views. various options after that to get back to the start point.

Suilven is fine, do it on a good day though. One of the summits has a tricky step on it.

So many options though, could ramble on for ages.
Post edited at 18:28
 Dave the Rave 21 Jun 2015
In reply to Wulfrunian:
Don't let anyone tempt you with An Teallach!
 Mark Collins 21 Jun 2015
In reply to Wulfrunian:

As you're based in Aviemore I'd suggest doing walks around there, depends how much you enjoy driving I guess. With a lot of walks on the west coast, you'll not only have the commute but will possibly be ascending ascending mountains much higher than in Snowdonia from near sea level in many cases, which makes things considerably tougher. With Suilven, you've not only got a massive drive, but a 4 mile walk in before you get to the mountain. For the targets you've set yourself, I'd suggest more mobile accommodation and take a tour up the west coast, heading east only in search of better weather, should you get shut down in the west.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...