NEW REVIEW: Lowe Alpine - Alpine Attack Rucksack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 18 Jun 2015
With the lid popped inside the main sac, and the drawcord pulled tight, 3 kbThis Alpine Attack rucksack from Lowe Alpine has been dragged from Scotland to Pembroke and even to the Alps.

It survived, as did our reviewers. But what did we think of it?

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=7405

In reply to UKC Gear:

Are the rear straps now long enough for the floating lid to be used if the extension tube is filled and a rope is thrown over the top? That's really my only complaint about my original version with the single headlocker, it's awkward to get the lid done up if you're packing climbing and bivvy gear for a big walk-in. Otherwise it's super durable and pretty close to being the perfect Winter rucksack.
 ben b 18 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:

I have an old c.1997 Alpine Attack 50 which is still going strong and remains a very nice beast. Light, strong, carries well, and the external crampon pouch does indeed hold all sorts of things, including on one occasion a baguette, some cheese, half a cucumber and an avocado. Also good for a bottle of wine (allegedly).

The lid actually fits too, without flapping and falling down, and the lighter interior lining means finding things easier. The only design features I didn't like were the bandoliers (I'd rather use my harness or - a bandolier) and the interior side pockets (which need elastic across the top or every time I try to stuff a jacket in the main compartment it ends up crammed half in a pocket).

The new version looks a worthy successor.

b
 imogen.fish 18 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:
I have an Alpine Attack 45:55 which was from the first batch when they switched suppliers (I presume... had one stolen which was when the new headlocker unit came out, so rebought, the design was almost the same, but build quality "less good")

Yeah, its a wicked pack, it works really really well... The way the lid goes up is great in scotland when you top out and its too windy to coil the ropes

---BUT--- having had the new pack 2.5 years (use as a crag rucksack, 3 weeks scottish winter total) the compression straps on the side are ripping through the main fabric. Will get onto lowe alpine to see what they say, but i am super dissapointed, becuase the design is absolutely amazing. If they all fall apart after 2 years, that makes it a shame because there'd be no point anyone buying one of the best designs on the market.
Post edited at 09:49

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...