Wrong chalk, wonky feet, uneven post-wash rope shrinkage!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Weird trolling or serious issues?
I really am not sure.
 BStar 17 Jun 2015
In reply to Ade in Sheffield:

Well seeing as my rope went in the wash fine but a bit dirty, and now it has come out at a different length I thought it would be good to see if anyone else had similar things happen before I trust my life to it. I shouldn't have to worry about what people may comment when asking for advice on something like that. If someone came back and said, 'yes that happened to me, the rope got too hot and stretched a certain section' etc etc then it would have been good advice passed on.

Go do something productive or save it for pub talk.
In reply to BStar:
Serious answer is, in IMHO, that it's probably acceptable, ropes are pretty elastic, (look at elongation %ages on passive body weight, and elongation to failure), probably by virtue of the materials used and their construction (core and mantle, - and they probably exhibit stress relaxation over time), especially if it's being used conservatively at the wall, and the continued use is to be so.
The fall factor involved is likely to be favourable and the ropes are probably 'over engineered'- how often do we hear of ropes failing under normally encountered circumstances ?
I think jimtitt and some of the objective testers will be able to add more quantative analysis.
Regards,
Adrian
[ps- I do lots productive during the day as a health care professional in primary and secondary care- I waste my residual time outdoors ]
Post edited at 23:12
 3 Names 17 Jun 2015
In reply to BStar:

> I shouldn't have to worry about what people may comment when asking for advice on something like that.

Why do you worry about it?

PPP 18 Jun 2015

No, just everyone has their own problems. We all want to enjoy the sport we like so much, so why not to try to make it perfect? Right length rope and right chalk can change a good day to a perfect day, so why not to strive for that?
Removed User 18 Jun 2015

Well, there's quite a difference between Black Diamond and Camp chalk, for example.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...