Which stove?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mark Kemball 17 Jun 2015
I'm looking to buy a new stove to take on the hill - at the moment I have a pocket rocket which is OK but not brilliant. I'm looking at an MSR Whisperlite Universal (see http://www.cascadedesigns.com/ie/msr/stoves/simple-cooking/whisperlite-univ... ) has anyone used one of these? (I've read a few reviews and it sounds very good but any more info would be welcome.) Alternatively, has anyone got any recommendations for alternatives?

Thanks.
 MJAngry 17 Jun 2015
In reply to Mark Kemball:

I have original Whisperlite and it is awesome, if it burns it will burn it! I saw the updated version of it in a shop the other day and was impressed with the updates.

When used with all the bits of foil boils really quick. Some may complain about a lack of fine control for cooking with e.g a gental simmer etc. but there is a knack. You soon get used to how much fuel you need to preheat it so as not to burn tent down.

Get an additional bottle - the small one - and everything fits in a pan.

Go outdoors have colemans fluid for £8 for 1L, incidently where I saw the stove.
 neuromancer 17 Jun 2015

What are you cooking on it, for how long, for how many people, how long are your trips, how big are the hills you're talking about, and what time of year?
 MJAngry 17 Jun 2015
In reply to neuromancer:

Not shy with your demands

Used it in the UK hill and mountains (highest prob on the ridge of the Mamores), used it for mountain marathons (kimm, lamm, saunders), Polaris events, car camping, bothy trips, making pancakes at work on pancake day, everything really.

I've had the stove since about 1998/99, longest unused spell was about 2 years, has't needed any maintenance (well it has't gotten any) no seals changed etc.

Only used colemans fluid as i've always had a supply, but on longer travels you'll not be stuck for liquids to burn, worth getting the MSR (or equivilant) with the spanners for field stripping or changing the jet if using a different fuel.

I'd say the small bottle (which i can't rememmeber how big it is) would last me 4 days? just doing breakfast and dinner.

Normally cooking pasta and sauces, dry and light meals. But the stove won't be the limiting factor on your culinary repertoire
 NottsRich 17 Jun 2015
Pocket Rocket to a Whisperlite or similar is a massive jump. What do you want it for?

There are only a few main types of stove - the small Pocket Rocket style, the Jetboil/Windboiler style, and liquid-/multi-fuel stoves. There are also Trangias, but I don't think you're looking for them. You seem set on the liquid fuel variety - why?

As a liquid fuel stove I have a Primus Omifuel. Works great, also runs on normal gas canisters without needing extra adapters. Bulky though.
Post edited at 15:36
OP Mark Kemball 17 Jun 2015

Thanks for all the replies. Basically, I want to use it for wild camping, mainly in the UK, probably up to 5 days on the hill, possibly in winter. Sometimes it will be just myself, sometimes with others. I'm planning mainly to burn gas, but like the idea of being able to use paraffin on longer trips. I want something versatile, fairly light weight and that will work well at low temperatures, I don't want to buy something and then decide I need to upgrade in a couple of years.
 Bob 17 Jun 2015

By gas do you mean gasoline (i.e. unleaded petrol) or compressed gas?
In reply to NottsRich:

I've got a trangia, quite like it, but it's a bit on the bulky side. I like the idea of being able to use both gas and liquid fuels. The Primus Omifuel looks very similar to the Whisperlite, has anyone used both? I so, what are the advantages / disadvantages of each?
In reply to Bob:

Compressed gas cylinders!
 Bob 17 Jun 2015

Just followed the link in your OP - didn't realise the stove did both. My mistake.

mp3ferret 17 Jun 2015

I've got one of the original whisperlites - had it since the early 90's and its bomb proof. I generally just run mine on unleaded these days - so it requires cleaning every now and again. Couldn;t recommend them highly enough. The dragonfly is pretty good too - a bit noisy and bulkier though.
 Andrew W 17 Jun 2015

I've currently got a Jet boil helios an inverted canister stove, which has the benefits of still working well throughout the life of the canister. I'm currently getting about 10 days worth of meals (porridge and pasta) out of a 230g canister. Although on a full canister it doesn't seem to simmer very well but this improves a bit with practice. The downside to it is its fairly bulky and not that light as it packs down into its own pot.
Calski 17 Jun 2015

If you google outdoor gear lab then you'll find loads of reviews on different stoves - it's a pretty good site.
 Garbhanach 17 Jun 2015
In reply to Mark Kemball: I saw this Edelrid Hexon multifuel stove mentioned on a previous gear forum on stoves, I was impressed with its weight compared to the omnifuel but haven't seen any reviews yet
youtube.com/watch?v=A507neOQxSk&

NottsRich 18 Jun 2015

I've used both (Omnifuel and Whisperlite) but not enough of the MSR to give you a fair comparison. I prefer the metal pump on the Primus stove over the plastic MSR one though.

The newer Omnifuel Ti is significantly smaller and lighter than the original steel version that I have.
OP Mark Kemball 22 Jun 2015

Thanks for all the advice, I've now ordered the Whisperlite Universal - I'll report back once I've tested it.
 Wild Isle 22 Jun 2015

Having owned at least 8 and used dozens of others over thousands of mountain days I can confirm you've made a wise choice. The Whisperlite is an ingenious piece of kit.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...