Who makes DMM Chalk?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PPP 15 Jun 2015
After being disappointed by couple of different brands, I got a jar of DMM Chalk and it's the best I have ever tried. Sadly, it is difficult to find and ordering online makes it quite expensive.

I suppose, DMM does not make their own chalk. Any ideas who makes the chalk for them? Edelrid has very similar but bigger jar of chalk and I already suspect that Edelrid makes ropes for DMM.
 TobyA 16 Jun 2015
In reply to PPP:

How can you be disappointed with chalk?
Removed User 16 Jun 2015
In reply to TobyA:

To be fair I don't use Moon chalk because it's horrific plasticy shit compared to Metolius Super Chalk, mainly because the super chalk has a drying agent in it.

I want some of that unicorn chalk from friction labs.
astley007 16 Jun 2015
In reply to PPP:

DMM chalk comes from the Black Chalk mines of Lancashire, the elves of wilton dig it out using special implements shaped and of the size of 1970's angles(zarkes).
Where upon the witches of pendle use a special process to bleach it white... but only for the non-locals so the elves can see who has climbed on their area
The local elves use the black chalk, as routes in Lancs have has 100's of ascents but never any chalk on them.

The witches can do the same with black pudding so beware!!!!
OP PPP 17 Jun 2015
In reply to TobyA:

Silly, isn't it?

It has some sort of drying agent which (I suppose) makes the chalk a little bit slippery or oily, if you like. It doesn't stick to my hands and it's quite awkward! I got some Snap chalk and it's been great. Feels even drier than DMM one. My hands feel okay between climbs and after climbing.

On the other hand, you can pay over 15 pounds for 10oz (283g) of chalk: http://shop.frictionlabs.com/collections/one-time-purchase/products/gorilla... . That is, excluding shipping to the UK. Lots of people swear by it, but I am not good enough climber to justify that sort of stuff!
 ericinbristol 18 Jun 2015
In reply to astley007:

Your post has two 'Dislikes'. How bizarre - it's witty and creative. I am struggling to work out why anyone would dislike it. Maybe some Lancs elves who object to you giving away their secrets?
 Sharp 18 Jun 2015
In reply to PPP:

I've only tried two types of chalk, the first was the cheapest I could find, it's just chalk after all. All th rest has been DMM, it's much better.
 Durbs 18 Jun 2015
In reply to PPP:

I suppose ultimately "shellfish" is the answer... though depends how far you want to go back... who made the shellfish?

Interesting someone above rated Metolious Super Chalk - it destroyed my hands with the drying agent.

I personally rate the Camp Chalk blocks - very cheap for a box of 10 blocks, and does the job well.
 deepsoup 18 Jun 2015
In reply to Durbs:
> I suppose ultimately "shellfish" is the answer... though depends how far you want to go back... who made the shellfish?

If the OP is trying to use that stuff, ie: calcium carbonate - yer actual chalk, that might explain the disappointment.

The "chalk" we use for climbing isn't really chalk, it's magnesium carbonate. Incidentally, the "chalk" used for writing on a blackboard mostly isn't chalk these days either, that's gypsum.
 GridNorth 18 Jun 2015
In reply to PPP:

I have to raid my wife's moisturiser (don't tell the guys) after using Metolious chalk. I think it has some additional drying ingredient in it that plays havoc with my skin. So perhaps chalk is not JUST chalk after all.

Al
OP PPP 18 Jun 2015
In reply to GridNorth:

Finally! Yes, it has drying agent in it.

So after finding chalk I really liked, I thought I might get some more of it... Snap chalk is good enough, but would still prefer DMM one .

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...