via ferrata gear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
j99 11 Jun 2015
Hi, I am going to the Dolomites with a friend who has no via ferrata gear. (That's the lot - vf kit, harness, helmet) I've never had to do it but I am under the impression that it's not to hard to hire over there (but would appreciate any advice - is it better to reserve in advance say).The main problem I think is that we will be travelling around a bit so ideally would hire here (even if that's by mail order). Does anyone know if this is possible? Thanks.
 Jenny C 12 Jun 2015
In reply to j99:

Didn't see anything about hiring, but TBH wasn't looking as we have our own kit. But prices to buy in Cortina (last year) were slightly less than you would pay in the UK (around the same in Euros that we would pay in £'s for the same product), also there were several unfamiliar brands (all CE approved) that gave an even cheaper option.

LastBoyScout 12 Jun 2015
In reply to j99:

For the cost of hiring it for a few days, you may as well get there and buy it at the first big shop you get to. You'll have much more choice than in a UK shop and local competition will keep the price down, not to mention the current strength of sterling.
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 12 Jun 2015
In reply to j99:

Via Ferrata kit can easily be hired from any of the major towns in the Dolomites. I don't know anything about hiring in the UK by mail order though I'm afraid.

If your doing a long holiday it might be worth buying the kit and selling it on after...
 d_b 12 Jun 2015
In reply to James Rushforth:

I agree with this. VF kit isn't particularly expensive if you buy it there, and in my experience VF is addictive so it is likely that they won't want to sell it on at the end of the trip.
In reply to j99:
Hello there,

I think the vf kit it's the only thing that unless your friend becomes a via ferrata addict, he'll never use it again in his life. But the harness and helmet, maybe he'll start climbing... who knows, it may be a good investment to buy harness and helmet once you're there. You can then hire the vf kit in some local store. Check this out: http://cortina.dolomiti.org/uploads/Guida/Noleggi/Snowservice_tariffeINV201... I have no relationship whatsoever with that shop, but it's the first one I've found googling "noleggio kit ferrata dolomiti". It does give you an idea of what it'll cost to hire a vf kit. Bear in mind it's not impossible to find a vf kit for €50 or less.

Ciao,

Nic
Post edited at 11:57
j99 17 Jun 2015
In reply to Nicola Ciancaglini:

Thanks everyone, I'll have a chat with my chum.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...