Light-ish & durable 0/-5 Synthetic Bag -

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 neuromancer 11 Jun 2015

Hullo.

I was going to buy a snugpak softie for work, but I wanted to see if I should buy a civilian bag instead.

Softie 9 is 1500g for a -5 comfort bag.
Softie 6 is 1200g for a 0 comfort bag.

Must be synthetic as I can't guarantee it staying dry despite a good bivvy bag.

Any standouts? Montane prism?
Post edited at 15:56
In reply to neuromancer:
My Softie 12 is still going strong 19 years after I bought it. If weight isn't an issue (and I guess it isn't given your use of the work "civilian"), they are great robust good value gonkers.

I find Montane bags an odd fit. Mountain Equipment synthetic bags are pretty damn good.
Post edited at 16:10
 galpinos 11 Jun 2015
In reply to neuromancer:

I had a Snugpack Merlin (Softie 3?) and it wasn't anywhere near comfortable at it's comfort rating of 5degC so I'd take those numbers with a pinch of salt.

nickinscottishmountains recommends ME bags, their ratings are normally very accurate.
 PN82 11 Jun 2015
In reply to neuromancer:

I have both the softie 3 and softie 9 (as well as a jazzy down mammut bag). Softie 3 was bought in 2002 and is still going strong, doesn't lose insulation like other synthetics and I expect the 9 bought in 2012 to last the same. I bought a North face synthetic bag in 2005 and only lasted 5 years as the insulation lost its loft and warmth; so Snugpaks are a good investment

However as per other comments, Snugpak are slightly optimistic with their temperature ratings.

For using on exercise year round in the UK, the softie 9 (teamed up with a fleece liner in winter) is probably warm enough for most things and is still more compact and lighter than the issued bags. Snugpak are sized for soldiers and have durable foot boxes for those days when you keep your boots on, can't go wrong.

jimbob1992 16 Jun 2015
In reply to neuromancer:

Big shout for the Mountain Hardwear Lamina bags. Brilliant insulation and excellent construction technique (welded rather than sewn).

Lamina 0 is 1.6kg for a -5 comfort (I think... off the top of my head!)
Lamina 20 is 1.3kg for a -1 comfort (I'm pretty sure on this one!)

Also worth considering the new HyperLamina Flame 20... sub 1.2kg for 0' comfort.
OP neuromancer 16 Jun 2015
In reply to neuromancer:

I have a trick of using a drybag for my feet when I have to wear my boots, but perhaps you're right on the durability front. These ultralight sleeping bags just aren't appropriate.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...