Alpkit Arc Torch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 10 Jun 2015
Anyone got an Alpkit Arc headtorch? Are they any good? I have a couple of Gammas which I am quite fond of but the battery casings are a bit shonky and I need something a bit more reliable for an upcoming Alps trip.

Mainly to be used for UK Winter climbing.
 Roguevfr 10 Jun 2015
In reply to Removed User:

Don't know that model, but I have the Viper and I relegated my gamma to spare spare status. The only thing lacking is a red led which I've used approximately nil times.
Removed User 10 Jun 2015
In reply to Roguevfr:

Yeh I was going to spring for a Viper but the Arc looks a bit like the Gamma with the rear battery back and appears to be the brightest of the lot according to Alpkit.
 SteveoS 10 Jun 2015

The Arc is brighter and the quick change battery pack might be quite useful in the Alps.
Removed User 10 Jun 2015
In reply to SteveoS:

Just debating whether it's worth the extra dosh. Also a bit worried that the seperate battery enclosure might be as flaky as the Gamma. Might end up going for the Viper I think, bit more tried and tested and cheap enough for a punt?
 thedatastream 11 Jun 2015

I've got a Viper and it's pretty good with a surprising amount of light for the size and weighs nowt. Would be fine for UK winter climbing. The battery pack on the Arc looks much better designed than the Gamma.

You've got to decide if those sixty five extra lumens are worth another fifteen quid.
Removed User 11 Jun 2015
In reply to thedatastream:

Alright mush - tending towards the viper...
 Dell 11 Jun 2015

+1 for the Viper, I don't like the idea of the power lead being exposed where it could get damaged or catch on something.
Always carry a backup light!
 The Potato 11 Jun 2015
In reply to Dell:

If its better built than the gamma then go for it. Having the separate battery compartment makes it more balanced, don't worry about the external wire they are tough.
Id say 65lums extra for £15 is worth it, compare the power to another brand of torch and see how much that costs
 neuromancer 11 Jun 2015

For me there's no way it would be about the lumens or money - it's about the rarity of a 2xAA head torch vs 3x AAA. I've never understood why the second is more prevelant.

Especially since I get issued aa batteries for free!
 The Potato 15 Jun 2015

i decided to buy the arc as my gamma was a bit botched following the battery compartment breaking.

My initial views of the arc are - its heavier than the other ones but also feels more robust. Having the battery compartment at the back is great as its more balanced than the (weird) manta.
Taking two AA batteries is great compared to AAA as already mentioned.
The main beam is powerful enough and transitions nicely between modes. The side LEDs give a broad close up light which is better than that of the gamma having only one side LED.
Overall im impressed and look foreward to using it out on the trail when its dark next.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...