How to address a letter to someone about to start a job?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 djwilse 09 Jun 2015
Hi
I am addressing a letter to the new (future) Head Teacher of my kid's school, he starts in September. I initially thought it should be 'Mr Joe Bloggs* , Incumbent Head' but having looked it up this is not correct. Any ideas? Prospective Head?

Oh and before any one suggests it is not Dick!

*name changed and voiced by actor.
Gone for good 09 Jun 2015
In reply to djwilse:

Dear Sir?
OP djwilse 09 Jun 2015
In reply to Gone for good:

Sorry if not clear, this is for the address on the envelope.
 fmck 09 Jun 2015
In reply to djwilse:

Ask your kid how to write a letter?
 bones 09 Jun 2015
In reply to djwilse:
Mr Such and Such , Head Teacher designate , Such and Such School.
Post edited at 22:07
 AlisonSmiles 09 Jun 2015
In reply to djwilse:

Mr Bloggs, Head Teacher. At the end of the day the school will know who you mean ...
OP djwilse 09 Jun 2015
In reply to AlisonSmiles:

I am sure you are right. It is just that I am also writing to the current head as well and because of the nature of the letter (and just generally cus its a skool) I want to try and get it 'correct'.
 wintertree 09 Jun 2015
In reply to djwilse:

Address them by honorific and surname - check the title (Mr or Dr), then expand on the why in the letter:

Dear Mr X and Dr Y,

I am contacting you in your respective capacities as the current Head Master and future Head Master of XYZ. &c. &c. Yada yada

I would highly recommend having a 3rd party check your spelling and grammar, if it's a fifth as bad as mine... Also to make sure what is clear in your head is clear on paper.
Post edited at 22:20
OP djwilse 09 Jun 2015
In reply to wintertree:

Thanks, some good tips there. I am actually just after how to address the envelope with the correct title for someone who isn't yet but is going to be the Head of the school.
 bones 09 Jun 2015
In reply to djwilse:

It really is Head Teacher designate !

I was one ! three times over ..ie I've had three Head Teacher positions.

Bingers 09 Jun 2015
In reply to djwilse:

If you just put their name and the name and address of the school on the envelope, it will find them. Schools aren't such big places that they don't know who to give letters to. They will definitely know the name of their new Head.

If you were writing to the class teacher, would you write Class Teacher on the envelope?
 nightclimber 09 Jun 2015
In reply to djwilse:

as another reply has said, the correct approach is to use "designate" after the title. Your best bet, however, is to phone the current head's secretary or PA and ask her advice (assuming it is a her of course). She will be responsible for ensuring the correct person gets any correspondence, and therefore is best place to help. In practice, addressing the envelope to her, asking her to forward it to the new Head, may prove effective
 abr1966 09 Jun 2015
In reply to bones:

Agreed....Designate!
OP djwilse 09 Jun 2015
In reply to djwilse:

Thanks all, envelope written - Head Teacher Designate!
In reply to djwilse:

Why wont Mr Smith be enough?

In reply to djwilse:
'The Once and Future King^h^h^h^h Head Teachers'...?
Post edited at 23:46
Kipper 09 Jun 2015
In reply to djwilse:

> Sorry if not clear, this is for the address on the envelope.

Why would you put someone's job title on an envelope?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...