Old-style DMM Nuts?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Xharlie 08 Jun 2015
A few months ago, someone was reporting that they managed to acquire a set of old-style DMM nuts by accident. I want to buy a set, too, and was wondering whether that source was still available or whether anyone could suggest another place from which I could order some.

I am now in Nürnberg so it would have to be sent by post.

We were climbing in the Pfalz region, on the weekend, and borrowed a set of old-style DMM nuts. They were awesome!

DMM - if you read this - why don't you still offer the old shape as an option? Sell wallnuts, old-style nuts AND offsets!
 Matt Amos 08 Jun 2015
In reply to Xharlie:

I bought some from outdoor action, by accident I actually wanted the new ones.
In reply to Xharlie:

What do you mean? Old style Wallnuts or something older?
OP Xharlie 08 Jun 2015
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

The old-style DMM nuts that were not anodised and were hollow at the back (at least in the bigger sizes)
 centurion05 09 Jun 2015
In reply to Xharlie:

They were made a few years ago, but I still have a number 7 and a 9 that I love!
In reply to Xharlie:

> The old-style DMM nuts that were not anodised and were hollow at the back (at least in the bigger sizes)

I've got some. Can't see that they are so hugely different to the new ones (but heavier) I found the hollow-backed ones tended to jam in place more easily (not in a good way)
 Sharp 09 Jun 2015
In reply to Xharlie:

There's loads floating around on ebay, most sellers post abroad now that ebay do all the foreign shipping.

I have a few, slowy phasing them out of my rack and the only one I regularly use now is a number 9. They seem a bit softer metal to me and they dig into placements well but modern nuts work just as well for less weight, you could probably double up all your small wires for the weight difference. I didn't quite understand the point about winter climbers prefer them because you can hammer them in easier (not being hollow), how often do you hammer a placement in from the side? If anything the wire protrudes out of the top more and there's less flat area to hit on the top because it's kind of rounded.
 Rick Graham 09 Jun 2015
In reply to Xharlie:

> The old-style DMM nuts that were not anodised and were hollow at the back (at least in the bigger sizes)

At least three versions of Wallnuts, the middle version having the hollowed out back, I think.

All good but the latest model seems as good as any IMHO.

My favourite nut, or is it the WC superlight rock?
 Kimberley 30 Jun 2015
In reply to Xharlie:

Hi, you have chosen not to accept emails so I can't pm you...

However if you are still after a set of the older DMM nuts I have a complete set 1-9 available. Light use.

Best to email me direct if you are interested

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...